Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huango

hardwire ikea rationell led under cabinet lighting?

huango
11 years ago

hardwire IKEA Rationell LED under cabinet lighting?

Hola,

Anyone hardwire IKEA Rationell LED under cabinet lighting?

I have 5 separate upper cabinets that I want to install these UCL under my uppers, putting all the wiring INSIDE the upper cabinet (to hide it all).

The wires are there and waiting for install.

Do I strip the IKEA Ansluta power cord (from the plug) and wire the Ansluta to my wall wires?

Anyone have pictures of how they use them/install?

I did a lot of searches and didn't find much about these Rationell LED UCL.

I alreay bought these Rationell LEDs and power supply cords.

Why are the non-Ikea LED UCL so expensive?

RATIONELL LED countertop light - white, 16 " - IKEA

ANSLUTA Power supply cord - IKEA

thank you very much for any help,

Amanda

Comments (7)

• huango
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much for your input.
    But can you please help elaborate?
    Why is stripping the power cord frowned upon? Will it start fires or something?

I am not looking for much:
    - Very affordable
    - LED (or something not hot like halogen)
    - prefer hardwired

So if you were me, what would you do?
    1. keep the Ikea LED (can't return/past the 90days) and Ikea Ansluta power cord, and turn the wires that's currently hanging out of the wall into outlets, and plug in the Ikea LEDs? or

2. get other LED strips (such as the InspiredLED strips), and keep it hardwired?

http://inspiredled.com/products/flexible-led-strips/ultra-bright-flexible-LED-strip-lights

So very confused.
    So very overwhelmed with lighting issues: still haven't chosen the 4 sconces to go between my 5 windows.

Week 8 into this reno.
    Was guessed to be done w/in 6weeks. HA!
    Still have another 4-6weeks to go.
    Sorry for the vent: tired.

thank you very much for any help,
    Amanda

• David
    11 years ago

The power cords are not rated for in-wall use.

The inspiredled system is a low voltage setup.

I would go with a direct wire solution like the Philips eW profile which is dimmable and very well conceived.

• baltomom_gw
    10 years ago

I just purchased the Ikea undercabinet LED lights. They are so inexpensive! So I was hoping they would work with my setup. This thread seems to say they won't work??!!

OK, so my electrician wired my cabinets for direct wire UCLs with a switch. He installed a switch and there are wires hanging from various points underneath my cabinets.

I purchased Ikea's UCL's. They come with a transformer (I'm assuming, it looks like a small brick) and they plug into the wall. As I said, they are VERY inexpensive, so I'm hoping they will work.

What if my electrician turned those dangling wires into plugs that are hidden under my cabinets? Is that possible? And then I just plug in these Ikea lights? That way, if the Ikea lights fail, or I decide on something else, I could swap them out?? Or is that a crazy solution?

Or will the cost of changing the wires into outlets (by my very expensive electrician) x-out the savings I'm getting from using Ikea LED UCLs?

I don't do any electrical stuff myself, so don't tell me to DIY!! Please!

I just need to save money and have light under my cabinets, and soon!

Thanks, if anyone responds. I know this is an old thread!

• baltomom_gw
    10 years ago

I just purchased the Ikea undercabinet LED lights. They are so inexpensive! So I was hoping they would work with my setup. This thread seems to say they won't work??!!

OK, so my electrician wired my cabinets for direct wire UCLs with a switch. He installed a switch and there are wires hanging from various points underneath my cabinets.

I purchased Ikea's UCL's. They come with a transformer (I'm assuming, it looks like a small brick) and they plug into the wall. As I said, they are VERY inexpensive, so I'm hoping they will work.

What if my electrician turned those dangling wires into plugs that are hidden under my cabinets? Is that possible? And then I just plug in these Ikea lights? That way, if the Ikea lights fail, or I decide on something else, I could swap them out?? Or is that a crazy solution?

Or will the cost of changing the wires into outlets (by my very expensive electrician) x-out the savings I'm getting from using Ikea LED UCLs?

I don't do any electrical stuff myself, so don't tell me to DIY!! Please!

I just need to save money and have light under my cabinets, and soon!

Thanks, if anyone responds. I know this is an old thread!

• Fred Mandell
    8 years ago

Just found the same problem- did you stay with ikea lights?

• huango
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I installed outlets Inside my cabinets rigged to a light switch, and plugged them in.

I only have 2 uppers.

love them!