Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hardwire ikea rationell led under cabinet lighting?

Posted by huango (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 18:45

hardwire IKEA Rationell LED under cabinet lighting?

Hola,
Anyone hardwire IKEA Rationell LED under cabinet lighting?

I have 5 separate upper cabinets that I want to install these UCL under my uppers, putting all the wiring INSIDE the upper cabinet (to hide it all).
The wires are there and waiting for install.

Do I strip the IKEA Ansluta power cord (from the plug) and wire the Ansluta to my wall wires?

Anyone have pictures of how they use them/install?
I did a lot of searches and didn't find much about these Rationell LED UCL.

I alreay bought these Rationell LEDs and power supply cords.
Why are the non-Ikea LED UCL so expensive?

RATIONELL LED countertop light - white, 16 " - IKEA

ANSLUTA Power supply cord - IKEA

thank you very much for any help,
Amanda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardwire ikea rationell led under cabinet lighting?

You could strip the power cord, but that is frowned upon.

LED strips are very different from vendor to vendor - different components and construction which could translate into higher output, dimmable, low voltage vs regular 120V AC, lower height / profile, ...

o

Thank you very much for your input.
But can you please help elaborate?
Why is stripping the power cord frowned upon? Will it start fires or something?

I am not looking for much:
- Very affordable
- LED (or something not hot like halogen)
- prefer hardwired

So if you were me, what would you do?
1. keep the Ikea LED (can't return/past the 90days) and Ikea Ansluta power cord, and turn the wires that's currently hanging out of the wall into outlets, and plug in the Ikea LEDs? or

2. get other LED strips (such as the InspiredLED strips), and keep it hardwired?

http://inspiredled.com/products/flexible-led-strips/ultra-bright-flexible-LED-strip-lights

So very confused.
So very overwhelmed with lighting issues: still haven't chosen the 4 sconces to go between my 5 windows.

Week 8 into this reno.
Was guessed to be done w/in 6weeks. HA!
Still have another 4-6weeks to go.
Sorry for the vent: tired.

thank you very much for any help,
Amanda

o

The power cords are not rated for in-wall use.

The inspiredled system is a low voltage setup.

I would go with a direct wire solution like the Philips eW profile which is dimmable and very well conceived.

o
Can I use Ikea LEDs with direct wire? Anyone use them??

I just purchased the Ikea undercabinet LED lights. They are so inexpensive! So I was hoping they would work with my setup. This thread seems to say they won't work??!!

OK, so my electrician wired my cabinets for direct wire UCLs with a switch. He installed a switch and there are wires hanging from various points underneath my cabinets.

I purchased Ikea's UCL's. They come with a transformer (I'm assuming, it looks like a small brick) and they plug into the wall. As I said, they are VERY inexpensive, so I'm hoping they will work.

What if my electrician turned those dangling wires into plugs that are hidden under my cabinets? Is that possible? And then I just plug in these Ikea lights? That way, if the Ikea lights fail, or I decide on something else, I could swap them out?? Or is that a crazy solution?

Or will the cost of changing the wires into outlets (by my very expensive electrician) x-out the savings I'm getting from using Ikea LED UCLs?

I don't do any electrical stuff myself, so don't tell me to DIY!! Please!

I just need to save money and have light under my cabinets, and soon!

Thanks, if anyone responds. I know this is an old thread!

o
Can I use Ikea LEDs with direct wire? Anyone use them??

I just purchased the Ikea undercabinet LED lights. They are so inexpensive! So I was hoping they would work with my setup. This thread seems to say they won't work??!!

OK, so my electrician wired my cabinets for direct wire UCLs with a switch. He installed a switch and there are wires hanging from various points underneath my cabinets.

I purchased Ikea's UCL's. They come with a transformer (I'm assuming, it looks like a small brick) and they plug into the wall. As I said, they are VERY inexpensive, so I'm hoping they will work.

What if my electrician turned those dangling wires into plugs that are hidden under my cabinets? Is that possible? And then I just plug in these Ikea lights? That way, if the Ikea lights fail, or I decide on something else, I could swap them out?? Or is that a crazy solution?

Or will the cost of changing the wires into outlets (by my very expensive electrician) x-out the savings I'm getting from using Ikea LED UCLs?

I don't do any electrical stuff myself, so don't tell me to DIY!! Please!

I just need to save money and have light under my cabinets, and soon!

Thanks, if anyone responds. I know this is an old thread!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here