Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transformer for under-cabinet puck lights?

Posted by ajtrenkle (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 18:28

My fiance and I recently moved into our new home and we noticed the kitchen has what looks like nice under cabinet puck lights installed. However, these lights currently do not work. We were told they need a new transformer installed.

I know almost nothing about what that means, but tried to figure out the way the lights are setup on my own.

It seems they are all connected to a central block hub, and controlled by a little switch under the cabinet. As far as I can tell, though, the block hub is not connected to anything.

Would the transformer simply connect into the block and then plug in to an outlet in the upper cabinet that the block hub is in? Anyone have any idea on what transformer is best and where to get it?

I hope I am using correct terminology, I really don't know what I am doing, trying to learn.

Any help appreciated :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transformer for under-cabinet puck lights?

The problem with using a single transformer is the high current used by low voltage lights.

Concealed wiring (in walls) is also required to conform to the NEC rules for an 'approved method' and is often excessive large for individual pucks (or even a couple together) and to small for the main transformer output at high current.

Pegasus Lighting should have a transformer.

You need to size it based on how many watts the lights pull (and them add some margin to prevent voltage droop in the transformer).

Voltage drop in the wiring to the pucks can also be an issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pegasus Lighting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here