Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
in CA, need help with green lighting in bath!

Posted by michoumonster (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 18:06

Hi all,
I am in CA and doing a new construction. I would love some advice on what I can or cannot do for lighting in the bathrooms. Do they have to be title 24 compliant and high efficiency? I understand the kitchens have more strict requirements than other rooms of the house. I would love to be high efficiency, it is just that there are very limited choices for high efficiency AND attractive bath lighting right now, plus the high efficiency stuff is super expensive!! Can I just buy halogen or incandescent lights and put them on dimmers? is there a wattage limit, etc?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: in CA, need help with green lighting in bath!

For baths you must have either a vacancy sensor OR high efficiency lighting.

A simple wall vacancy sensor will work for one zone of lighting. If you have multiple zones of lighting Lutron has a nice solution with their Maestro wireless dimmers/switches and vacancy sensor.

Here is a link that might be useful: vacancy sensor with multiple dimmers

o

Or these.
Leviton Occupancy Sensor Wall Switch, PR180

Here is a link that might be useful: Occupancy Sensor Switches

o

thanks very much for the info dim4fun and brickeyee! those occupancy sensors are very affordable too!

o

Make sure you purchase the vacancy sensor type and not an occupancy sensor which won't meet the code.

o

Are you allowed/able to do a solar light tube? Can't get any more efficient/green than that.

Karin L

o

Hmm. When we reconstructed our house three years ago, the basic rule for bath and laundry rooms was that the first switch when you walk in the door had to be high efficiency. The remaining lights could be incandescent, but had to be on the motion sensor. So it wasn't strictly one OR the other.

We used Panasonic fan/light combos for the first switch, then bought what we liked for the rest. The Panasonics have a pair of FDS18E35/4 18 watt CFL bulbs in them. (Plus a small incandescent night light on a separate switch.)

As far as solar light tubes go, we were told that installing a light kit in one didn't count as a high efficiency light - because you could screw an incandescent bulb into it. I guess if the light kit had a GU-24 socket, it would have counted.

o

The code you built under was from 2005. New rules for projects that went into plan check starting January 2010.

Here is a link that might be useful: new rules

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here