Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about ceiling fixture - will I have enough light?

Posted by marisany (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 15, 09 at 17:54

I am trying to decide on a light fixture for our mudroom. The space is approximately 8' x 7.5', with some white cabinetry. Ceiling is 8'. The floor is brown/grey tile, and the walls will be painted BM Gerbera Daisy (peach). I will have only a ceiling fixture. I like the one linked below, but I am wondering whether it will provide enough light. It takes two 60W bulbs, and on the LightingDirect website it says that they should be Edison bulbs. I don't know what these are. I did a search here and on the web, but I'm still not sure. I did see some on the GE website that are halogen - does Edison mean halogen? I know that halogen bulbs give more light for a given wattage, but I am worried about fire.

Here is a link that might be useful: Murray Feiss flushmount fixture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about ceiling fixture - will I have enough light?

Or maybe I should get this one with two 100W bulbs? It hangs down about a foot, is this too much in an 8' high space? It also looks a little contemporary; our house is a 1931 Colonial.

Here is a link that might be useful: MF semi-flushmount fixture

o

"Edison" are the plain-old screw-in bulb sockets and generally refers to that part of the bulb, in contrast to things like "candelabra base" or "GU-24" or "bi-pin" sockets.

How much light? How bright do you want it in there? 120W of general lighting in an 8x8 space is probably "enough" for many purposes, though you may have shadows that make "task" work difficult. Going to 200W overhead will make the room brighter (a just-noticeable step over 120W, not "twice as bright"), but you'll still have the same shadows, if you do.

o

Thank you for the response, and for clearing up my confustion about the Edison bulb. We will not need task lighting, just general lighting in a space used as an entry/mudroom and for storage (pantry cabinet and cleaning cabinet).

Any ideas about which fixture would be a better scale for the room?

o

To my eye, they both look pretty big for a relatively small room.

We have had great luck with Rejuvenation Lighting, not to be confused with the hardware store that has invaded the high-end malls.

You might like the Lombard, Jefferson, or something a little more simple for a 1930s home. Perhaps the Lyle? I don't know your style preferences.

I can't immediately find it on their site, but they used to have a "see this fixture in your room" that would show a scaled drawing that helps visualize.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation Flush Lighting 1930s

o

I do like the Lombard! And I saw their in-room view; there is a button that takes you right there. This one hangs down 11" - is that OK in an 8' room? Also, it only takes one 100W bulb.

I see that they have a chat button - I'll ask them some questions.

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I like this fixture a lot, and they have an antique brass finish, which I prefer to the ORB.

o

Lots of options there, don't miss out on choosing a shade you love. The quality is excellent, and you can get a set of finish swatches that, at least in the past, would be applied to your purchase price.

I just checked and our lights are about 6'8" off the floor and are seldom in the way. That height aligns the bottom of the shades with the top of our doors. That would give you a very comfortable foot or more of fixture height to play with. If you have people flailing their arms about, you might have a problem. Just don't put your Wii in the mud room...

Our upstairs bathroom is 6'x7' with 10' ceilings and we have one of the (as I remember) Lombard fixture in there with what I think is the BC5558 blue-banded shade and it is comfortable in there. I don't recall if we have a 60W or 100W bulb in there.

o
Brass Finishes

Shoot, almost forgot! Don't be put off by the unvarnished, polished brass finish -- it mellows beautifully with time and gets a patina that even Rejuvenation's excellent antiqued brass can't match.

It will seem blindingly bright when you get it. Don't touch it with your fingers when you put it up, as your fingerprints with tarnish first. In about a year, it will look nice and warm. Another year and it will will warm your room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here