Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installation question, undercabinet lights

Posted by grumpydave (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 11 at 17:22

I've been searching the LED UCL threads and haven't found this particular topic addressed.

If I'm going to use some undercabinet LED fixtures like those from environmentallights.com, does the wiring for each strip go back to the driver or do they get connected to each other end-for-end in a serial fashion? Clearly you can physically connect more than one light together to form a longer strip, but I assume the same is done with short jumper cables too?

For example if I have three 27" uppers in a row and I install, say, a 24" strip under each do I just drill a hole through the "fence" between the cabinets near the ends of the strips, run a short cable through, and connect each strip to the one in the next cabinet effectively making one long strip of 36"? Not having to run a wire to the back of each cabinet to go to the driver would keep things tidy.

Or... it just occurred to me that instead of drilling a hole for the wire I could cut a notch in the fences so that one long light strip could actually span multiple cabinets? That way I could use the longer strips and avoid the cost premium of the shorter ones? It would also make the light more consistent without the breaks between light strips. I'm liking that idea!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installation question, undercabinet lights

You will have separate runs of LED strips (min 1) in parallel.
See the LED DIY UCL thread.

You could drill a hole through the intervening fences or notch the fence. Nb - check with your cabinet maker.

Btw, the strips are also sold by superbrightleds.com ...

Here is a link that might be useful: LED UCL DIY

o
RE: Installation question, undercabinet lights

"You could drill a hole through the intervening fences or notch the fence."

Drill a hole.
Use a longer drill bit and a drill with minimal top clearance to make the angle as shallow as possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here