Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fran123_gw

6-inch Diameter Shallow Remodel Can for LED

fran123
11 years ago

Hi all, I hope your electrical challenges are resolving themselves swimmingly. My electrician showed up today intending to wire the ceiling for my small kitchen remodel with 6-inch IC recessed cans only to discover that my attic floor joists are narrow with finished floor over a layer of plywood subfloor, lathe and plaster, and finally a layer of sheetrock providing only 6 inches to play with..

I have spent the better part of a day looking for shallow cans (max height/depth of 6 inches) that will accommodate LED, but all the vendors tell me LED requires the 7.5 height/depth of the standard 6-inch can or I have to switch to 4-inch LED cans. I wanted to avoid 4-inch LEDs because I didn't want to have to double the number of fixtures to avoid shadows and my electrician says it will be hard to fix the 6-inch hole he just drilled into the ceiling this am.

My electrician's supplier says that Juno will be coming out with a shallow 6-inch LED can in 2-3 weeks, but he can't confirm availability and doesn't want to proceed with anything until he can. Meanwhile, we have no water in the kitchen and are cooking with a microwave and there are kitchen cabinets scattered over every unused inch of the house waiting for installation. Of course, we can't proceed with the cabinets until the rough wiring is completed. ;->)

DOes anyone know what else might be out there? I have covered and bombed out with most of the online vendors.

Thank you.

Comments (3)