Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscape lighting problem hot wires

Posted by dwojo (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 16:47

My lights seem to work intermittently - sometimes they all come on other times nothing. It all seems to be around one splice/wire hookup in one part of the ground. I noticed today that the cap around 3 wires was completely melted and the wires were ruined. I trimmed down the wires, re -spliced them together and the lighting works. when I went to put a new cap on the wires were hot to the touch. What could this be indicative of? The wires in the ground go under hardscape and through some pretty hard dirt so I don't know where they all begin and end. I had to make several corrections to get it all working when I moved it. Th

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscape lighting problem hot wires

The current draw may be too high.

o
RE: Landscape lighting problem hot wires

Voltage of the system?

Power of the lights and thus the current they pull?

Low voltage often takes a fairly large current for any decent wattage.

A 100 watt 120 V bulb pulls less than one amp.

A 20 watt 12 V bulb is well over one amp (about 1.7 A).

current drives wire size and wire temperature.

Voltage drives insulation thickness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here