Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bath vanity & overhead lighting -xpost

Posted by enmnm (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 15, 11 at 16:12

We live in a "builder's special" house. My bath is about 5 x 7 and wasn't properly designed: for one, the only light is a double arm light above the vanity mirror (which isn't even a medicine cabinet.)

Is it possible to replace this with a unit that has arms that come down the side of the mirror? (I believe Kichler makes one, but I can only find one style.) I need side lighting, but cannot do any rewiring or screw with the drywall.

Also, while I have an overhead vent and fan, I would like to replace it with one that has a light attached. Would this be complicated?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bath vanity & overhead lighting -xpost

"We live in a "builder's special" house. My bath is about 5 x 7 and wasn't properly designed: for one, the only light is a double arm light above the vanity mirror (which isn't even a medicine cabinet.)"

Sounds like a standard design bathroom.

"Is it possible to replace this with a unit that has arms that come down the side of the mirror? (I believe Kichler makes one, but I can only find one style.) I need side lighting, but cannot do any rewiring or screw with the drywall."

You have to get power to the lights somehow. Either buy independent sconces or a mirror with the lights attached. There is no magical way ot getting powere to those lights. Either the wire is there or it isn't. Sounds like a simple job for an electrician.

"Also, while I have an overhead vent and fan, I would like to replace it with one that has a light attached. Would this be complicated? "

Not complicated, but it will likely involve an electrician installing a second switch so that light and fan are controlled separately. Don't run them off a common switch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here