Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon_79

**new home help - lots of bad lightolier fixtures. pics attached!

Brandon_79
9 years ago

This is probably a long shot, but figured I�d try to get some answers on this forum. I�m no expert when it comes to lighting or electrical. Just your average home owner.

I recently moved into a house built in �83. I haven�t counted, but I�m sure there are over 100 recessed lights throughout. Most are 6" plus. A lot of them work, but there are a good number that do not. I�d REALLY like to fix those that aren�t working because it just looks crappy and it bothers me. I uploaded some pics with callouts below - hoping that helps!

There are two above the fireplace and one is out. I tried replacing the bulb several times. It did flicker at first and then went out. I�ve read about the thermal couplers. I don't think it's that bc it's not and on/off thing - it went out completely after I screwed it in really well. Next I bought a tester (the small "wand kind" that you point at what you want to test). It gave me kind of intermittent reading on the one not working. If I stuck the end of it all the way into the socket I got a small response - but nothing like on the good light, which gave a good reading as soon it got near the socket.

So, not knowing much about recessed lighting, I decided to remove the inner trim and then tried to remove the fixture. I was only able to get it drop out of the ceiling about 2" (after pushing ball on brackets in). I didn�t want to break anything so I eventually put it back in place. I found a Lightolier sticker. After searching and it doesn�t look like these housings can be removed.

Now to my questions�

First off, do these fixtures go bad on their own? If so, is it a common thing?

If I eliminate bad bulbs, bad switch and the sockets are giving me a "no good" reading, do I assume the fixture itself is bad? If that's case, what are my options for replacement?

I was told that you can cut the wires and push the can up into the ceiling and retrofit. Is this true? Can anyone provide some insight or a how-to on this?

Are there better options? I simply want the lights to work. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)