Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Education Please: Under Cabs LED Lighting Cost?

Posted by pbx2 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 15:29

We got a quote from our builder's electrical sub for $800 for LED's under the cabs.

Our new build's kitchen has 7 individual standard width cabinets.

Nothing fancy except lights under the cabs with it's own switches - not sure we even need dimming.

Questions:

1) Is the quote reasonable (absence of any more info than what's above).

2) Does having shorter LED strips cost create some savings?

3) Can I do this for less post construction hiring my own electrician & buying my own parts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Education Please: Under Cabs LED Lighting Cost?

That sounds reasonable to me. I shopped around quite a bit and ended up with lights and drivers from Environmentallights.com - they are dimmable, light quality is wonderful and they were very helpful. I did not trust my contractor or electrician to select the product because they had limited experience with LED undercabinet lights. Check the prices for yourself on their website, or call them for assistance.

I would make every attempt to make the lights as wide as possible, so as not to have gaps in the light, which would otherwise be noticeable, especially if you have a dark polished granite since the "dots" will reflect off the counter and make any gaps even more noticeable.

I would not try to do this later on - you need to have the proper wiring installed during construction.

o

I don't know what you mean by "standard" width - is that 30"? 24"? anyway, that price seems very reasonable for hardwired LED lights. and would definitely be easier now than after drywall/cabinet installation.

I spent $500 a couple years ago on low-voltage light bars.Due to a water leak I'm replacing kitchen cabinets and the backsplash area will be torn out, so I am going to replace them with direct wired ones. Pricing on those are rediculous, but will be anywhere from $600-1200.

o

@ numbersjunkie & @ mountaineergirl: thanks for the pricing feedback & the installation advice.

I should have known that "standard" was not a good word to use...even though they don't look non-standard to me!

That said, to answer your question, cabs are anywhere between 30-36 inches wide.

o

The following link should be helpful.

Without knowing what is being installed, it is impossible to know if that price is reasonable.

The lighting has to be considered an integral part of the kitchen and has to work well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Led Ucl continuation

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here