Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can an A19 LED bulb be used in a stove hood?

Posted by lee676 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 15:08

I often have the light in the exhaust-fan range hood on whilst cooking or otherwise working in the kitchen. It's a partially-open fixture with a plastic shield on the bottom, and it's usually fitted with one of those small 40-watt "appliance" light bulbs. Can an LED be retrofitted here, or will the heat/steam/greasy smoke damage it? Many LED bulbs have warnings about not using them in enclosed fixtures or in wet areas, but I've never read any warnings not to use them over a stove.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can an A19 LED bulb be used in a stove hood?

You could try the Cree bulb which is supposed to work in fully enclosed fixtures irrespective of orientation.

o
RE: Can an A19 LED bulb be used in a stove hood?

My only concern would be the light bulb in the range hood tends to get covered with grease or grime over time, I sometimes clean it off because it starts getting darker, and that fuzzy coating over the glass on the Cree bulb doesn't look easy to clean. It will chip off if you're not careful, I had that happen with one of my Cree TW bulbs. But being rated for enclosed fixtures and damp areas should mean at least it shouldn't be harmful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here