Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
10 watt halogen pucks vs rope LED undercabinet lighting

Posted by monkeypuzzle (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 30, 09 at 14:58

I told my kitchen designer that I wanted the wiring for undercabinet lighting in the wall so I don't need to rip out tiles to access the wall later on and an inexpensive undercabinet lighting. Kitchen designer suggested halogen pucks or rope LED. I noticed halogen pucks come in 10 watt, which I assume won't get as hot as 20 watt. So right now I am considering 10 watt halogen pucks vs rope LED. Which one is better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 10 watt halogen pucks vs rope LED undercabinet lighting

I am not a fan of the halogen pucks. They do get hot and they are visible. I don't have experience with the rope LED. My impression is it doesn't give off enough light for working in the kitchen.

I installed the Seagull Ambience lighting 8 years ago. It think it's a very good system. It is a low voltage system. You can put in as many lights as you want provided you have sized the transformer correctly. Below is a link to their site.

http://www.seagulllighting.com/Linear-Lighting.htm

o

Is it super cheap? I am only putting the lighting in because I want the wires, so I want very inexpensive lighting that can be hardwired to the wall.

o

The biggest expense is the transformer. I won't say it is super cheap. The wiring is inexpensive. It is basically lamp cord. The light receptables and bulbs are not too bad. You can in as many or few as you want.

o

How much are they?

o

I bought my set up 8 years ago. I don't recall the prices. The price of the transformer varies by the size. The size is deterimined by the number of power is has to provide.

See if a local lighting store can give you an idea of the costs. You should install a pair of 5watt bulbs (10W total) every 12 - 18 inches. This will give you an idea of the total wattage. The transformer should be sized at about 80% of the total power.

o

I agree with mike_home, I am not a fan of halogen pucks either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here