Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foyer/Stairway lighting

Posted by Melissa-Kitchen (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 14:49

Hello!

I am trying to replace a terrible light that hangs in our stairway. As you can see by the picture, we have an open staircase that goes from the basement to the second floor. Right now we have a really dated hurricane type lamp that I couldn't despise more. Really anything would be an improvement. Have I mentioned that I don't like it? :)

My question is, what type of light would you suggest? I have a limited width, probably a maximum of 24 inches. My local lighting store suggested a chandelier. I'll post it in a different thread because I can't figure out how to attach multiple pictures.

I would appreciate any input.

Thank you!

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: Horrible light I have now

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foyer/Stairway lighting

Here is a light that was suggested to me. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

o

My personal opinion is to not get the ones with globes, especially the ones going upward, if you don't have good access to the chandelier. Dust, bugs etc will collect in there if you can't get to it. But if you can, and you want the globes, I'd think the ones going downward would give more light. I like the chandelier with no globes at all.

o

I agree with mountaineergirl, you should choose globes downward for practical reasons like the picture below:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here