Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_kitchen_gw

Foyer/Stairway lighting

Melissa-Kitchen
11 years ago

Hello!

I am trying to replace a terrible light that hangs in our stairway. As you can see by the picture, we have an open staircase that goes from the basement to the second floor. Right now we have a really dated hurricane type lamp that I couldn't despise more. Really anything would be an improvement. Have I mentioned that I don't like it? :)

My question is, what type of light would you suggest? I have a limited width, probably a maximum of 24 inches. My local lighting store suggested a chandelier. I'll post it in a different thread because I can't figure out how to attach multiple pictures.

I would appreciate any input.

Thank you!

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: Horrible light I have now

Comments (3)

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a light that was suggested to me. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

• mountaineergirl
    11 years ago

My personal opinion is to not get the ones with globes, especially the ones going upward, if you don't have good access to the chandelier. Dust, bugs etc will collect in there if you can't get to it. But if you can, and you want the globes, I'd think the ones going downward would give more light. I like the chandelier with no globes at all.

• daisyyoung
    11 years ago

I agree with mountaineergirl, you should choose globes downward for practical reasons like the picture below:

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths