Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BR40 in 6 inch cans

Posted by hawkeye2256 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 13:57

Would a BR40 lamp fit in 6 inch recessed can? I found Feit 17w BR40 lamps at Costco for a price of 8.99 each after manufacturer's rebate. Electrician says they'll be a little too big. Why wouldn't a lamp with 5 inch diameter fit in a 6 inch can?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BR40 in 6 inch cans

There is a trim piece to cover the jagged edges of the hole which might get in the way.

o

For $10 more you can fit an LED retrofit in that can. You'll save energy dollars and have a nice, clean light.

o

A BR LED light + trim ring is in the same cost range as a CR6 (which comes with an attached trim ring) today.

o

6-inch cans are for Br40s, and 5-inch are for BR30s. The last owners of my house put BR30s in the 6-inch cans, and not only did they look lost inside the giant cans, they also were too dim.

I've been replacing the Br30s in my basement (Juno cans) with Feit/Lowes Br40s (17 and 22 watt versions) and they are MUCH brighter (and much brighter than the CREEs). And when they do burn out, I won't have to worry about having mismatching trim (will CREE stil be making CR6s 20 years from now?).

The only 6-inch cans I've had problems with are some of the shallower one that are often used in insulated ceiling (e.g. Halo H7icat). For those I've used the new Lighting Science/Home Depot Ecosmart BR40s. They have the width of a BR40, but the depth of a Br30, so they don't stick out of the fixture.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-15-Watt-90W-BR40-Soft-White-2700K-LED-Light-Bulb-ECS-BR40-90WE-W27-120/203914616#.Uoom3SiQ4wE

o

Many things can happen in 20 years. Companies may go bust, merge, lighting styles pass away, ...

o

True, but I bet in 20 years I can buy a bulb in the Br40 form-factor. I'd rather have one bulb that looks different from all the others, than an entire fixture that looks different.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here