Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for Davidtay

Posted by numbersjunkie (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 5, 10 at 12:49

I went back and looked at the pictures you posted of your under cabinet lighting, and it looks great! There does not appear to be a shadow at the top of your back splash which is the problem I see with the one sample I bought. I know you used the environmental lights - I see they have a new brighter version with a higher CRI that I am considering.

Can you please tell me how you mounted them? Did you used the angle clips?

Also,can you tell me how close you were able to get to full coverage under your cabinets? It looks like I will have almost 5" of dead space under one cabinet that can be divided at each end.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for Davidtay

There is a small shadow ~ 2- 3" at the top, but which is not readily visible, unless you're ~ 4' tall. There is a shadow zone in the corners which I could have largely eliminated by having 2 bars perpendicular to each other.

I mounted the lights using the standard flat clips. No angled clips. I toyed around briefly with the idea of using angle mounts, then decided against it.

I have flat bottomed cabinets. All the bottoms lined up perfectly and there are no rails underneath.

I have ~ 3" - 4"( sum of space from both edges) that the lights do not cover. I don't think it really matters.

The extent of the shadow zones you see depends on geometry.
1. The depth of the undercabinet space. The more vertical depth you have, the greater the shadow zone.
2. Angles. A corner usually is ~ 90 degrees. The temptation is to place the light bar on the hypotheneuse. Doing so would increase the distance to the furthest end of the corner.
3. Horizontal distance from the backsplash.

o
RE: Question for Davidtay

Thanks! I will try one and see what happens. I have recessed bottoms, but my GC said he would cut through the rails between cabinets to help avoid the gaps.

Fingers crossed!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here