Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolml_gw

luxlite led recessed cans - opinions please

carolml
11 years ago

We are thinking of purchasing luxlite 300LED5W 4" recessed cans. These have gimbal lights and are dimable; they cost $170. for 4, with bulbs - from Costco. Does anyone have any experience with these? We would like to install them in our kitchen reno and thought the idea of the gimbals would give us more flexibility. Any thoughts, we are new to this game?

Comments (11)

• David
    11 years ago

Gimbal lights would probably not be adjusted. The light quality and spread are probably more important.

The following link has more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Led recessed discussion

• attofarad
    11 years ago

No experience with those, but I'll point out a couple of things.

Those lights put out 300 lumens, vs. 570 for the Cree Cr4/Ecosmart ECO-4, and 550 lumens for the Sylvania RT-4. So, you would need maybe 80% more of them to get the same level of illumination. If you need less illumination, or will put in more lights, that may not be an issue.

I don't see anything in the specification regarding beam angle; maybe okay, and should be if you are putting in a lot of them.

I don't see any specification of the CRI (color rendering index). I do find a Luxlite LED bulb online, with a CRI spec of greater than or equal to 70, vs 80 for the Sylvania or 90 for the Cree/Ecosmart.

I am also wondering what type of connector the bulb has.

The Costco reviewers are mostly happy.

• carolml
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both. I will do some more research. Obviously, too many cans would look stupid.
    attofarad - the bulbs that come with these are Cree, warm white (3100K), 30 degree flood GU 10 connectors. I don't know about CRI index - is that the same as colour temperature, ie 3100K?

• David
    11 years ago

Cri represents how accurately colors are reproduced when illuminated by the light source.

Temperature is the measure of how white the light is. The 2 are not the same thing.

Even if the LEDs come from Cree, there are differences in the quality, efficiency, ...

• carolml
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am still struggling with figuring out the best solution. We need to put new cans into an old ceiling - we'll need about 15 - 4" cans and we would like LED lights on dimmers. With lights such as the CREE Cr4, we are essentially buying 15 LED lights connected to 15 transformers. Is there a way to use bulbs such as NR16s and connect all the cans to a single transformer? It seems like this would be way more efficient. We used a similar set up at a lake cabin where we have only a single small solar panel which powers a 12 volt battery. Amazingly, we can run lots of lights at one time off this. In this case, we have used single lights connected to tracks. At home, we would prefer the more stream lined look of cans.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might offer!

• attofarad
    11 years ago

Carol-

What transformers?

What "more efficient"? Installation cost, operating cost, lumens per watt?

I'm not familiar with NR16. Do you mean MR16?

• David
    11 years ago

Not unless the home is off the electrical grid and wired for dc.

In addition, if you only have one power supply, all the lights would go out when the power supply fails.

• carolml
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Clearly I show my ignorance every time I try to ask a question! Yes, attofarad, typo, I meant MR16.
    I have left most of the electrical decisions to my husband, a guy who thinks outside the box and always figures there is a better way to do something. He thinks that the whole construction of the LED bulbs such as the Cree C4s is cumbersome and wasteful, with a transformer built into each the size of each bulb alone makes them expensive. I believe he envisions that a series of recessed ceiling lights could run more like a cable system with all the lights connected to a single transformer. Individual bulbs could then be much smaller, such as MR16s. Does this make sense? And is it likely to be available in the future?
    Thanks for your patience in helping me understand.
    Carol

• David
    11 years ago

Already answered in my earlier post.

You are talking about low voltage lighting which is more expensive than 120V AC lighting. If you want those, they are readily available today from CSL Lighting and other low voltage lighting vendors.

• carolml
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks David. I'll check them out.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

For those white light lovers, I see that HD now has 5000k versions of the 4 inch and 6 inch downlights, still 575 lumens.