Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another question about recessed lights

Posted by ladoladi (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 12:02

When purchasing recessed lights, some of them say "new construction" and some say "for remodels." Is there a significant difference?

I'm trying to find IC-rated 4" wet location housings, but the ones I've found so far say they're for new construction.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another question about recessed lights

You need to use retrofit housings if you don't intend to rip down the ceiling or don't have access to the space above your ceiling.

Retrofit housings clip onto the ceiling board and depend on it for support.

I don't think you will be able to find retrofit housings that meet the requirements for wet locations.( mildly put)

o

Davidtay:

We have a fairly large attic and have already installed a number of can lights throughout the house. The electricians were able to install them without ripping out the ceiling. However, the electricians were gouging us on the cost of materials, which is why I want to purchase the housings and trims on my own... but I'd like to get the correct ones.

Thanks!

o

With access to the space above the ceiling and confidence clambering around in the attic space, I would get new construction cans rather than retrofit/ remodel cans.

The retrofit cans depend on the ceiling board for support, whereas the new construction cans use nailed in hangers (which could be slightly challenging with the ceiling already installed).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here