Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recessed task lighting above cabinet-less counters

Posted by prahxof (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 11:14

We're planning on installing recessed task lighting over two 2'x4' work surfaces in our kitchen. Neither surface has upper cabinets (in fact, one "surface" is actually a vintage stove, with no hood). The ceilings are 93", the surfaces are at 36" and 37".

I had been assuming we would put a single 5" or 6" can above each surface, probably using LEDs from Cree. But now that I've mocked it up, using a clip-on worklight (and a Cree BR30 LED floodlight bulb), I'm worried about shadowing. Even if the light is only 12" from the wall (i.e., centered on the countertop), if I lean over to read from a recipe, my shadow obscures some of the page.

The solution would seem to be using two lights (4" cans, I suppose) above each surface rather than just one, but if I do that, I'm concerned that I'll have way too much light, and the lights will always be dimmed way down. Am I overthinking?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recessed task lighting above cabinet-less counters

The br30 has a different light distribution compared with the cr6 or cr4. The cr6/4 lamps are more diffuse.

Having said that, it is better to have multiple light sources to more evenly light up a work area.

o

thanks! should i worry about "too much light"? there will be a dimmer, but i'd rather not have to have it set at 30% all the time, or something like that.

and as for spacing: above a 2'x4' counter, i suppose they should be 2' apart?

o

They could be spaced further apart ~ 3ft. The placement is also constrained by the ceiling joists. You might want to consider putting in a cooker hood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here