Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
size of recessed lights over bathroom sinks

Posted by ladoladi (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 12, 11 at 11:09

Our 2 master bath sinks are recessed into a nook in the bathroom. On either side of the nook we are planning to put in sconces--the red stars in my very goofy MSPaint drawing at the bottom. We also plan to do a wall-to-wall mirror on the wall in front of the sinks; we're going for a clean and simple modern look.

It is a very large bathroom, and while there are other lights in the bathroom--the ceiling fan/light/heat combo in the shower and 2 6" can lights, one over the door and one over the make-up vanity, and the vanity lights--I don't think these lights will provide sufficient task lighting for my SO to shave at the sink, so I'd also like to put in 2 can lights over the sinks.

I'm thinking I would like the cans over the sinks to be 4" so they are less obtrusive and don't take away from the sconces. But the ceiling in the bathroom is vaulted. It's about 10' over his sink and about 8-3/4' over my sink.

So my question, finally: Because they'd be so high, would 4" can lights be functional in this space and provide sufficient light, or should I go with the 6" can lights?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: size of recessed lights over bathroom sinks

Shadow free lighting is what you need but not what you are going to get.

The order of preferecne is:
Lighting completly surrounding the face. (a makeup mirror)
Sconces at face level on each side of a face.
Sconce centered over face.
Multiple cans so light can wash down sides of face.

When you see sconces accompanied by a recessed fixture over the sink, the recessed fixture's main job is to light the beautiful sink and faucet, not your face as it creates shadows under eyebrows, nose, chin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here