Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
remote control lighting.............

Posted by sunlicious (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 11:03

i have a mother who has real difficulty turning on lamps in the living room and bedroom. i was thinking about searching for a way she could turn on the lamps by using a remote control. does anyone have any experience using such a thing? maybe pass along some recommendations/brands? thanks for any help!

randy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: remote control lighting.............

When my wife had neck surgery, I just swapped out one of her bedroom ceiling light dimmers for one with an IR remote control. Lutron brand.

They also make versions for plug-in lamps -- you plug that into the wall, and the lamp into it.

Their IR dimmers don't have "addresses", so you cannot separately control two in the same room. If you need to to that, there are RF ones. You can set them up to be controlled by specific remotes. That is what we have for over-bed reading lights, separate RF controls for my wife and for me.

There are "dimmer" and "switch" versions. I have the RF switch one for my garage fluorescent lights, since they cannot be used with a dimmer. For that one, it was the easy way to add a new "wall switch", by mounting the tiny remote on a wall. In addition, we each have a remote in our car for the garage/shop lights.

If the IR ones work for what you need, they are the cheapest solution.

o

option 1: Lutron's remotes described above.

option 2: using X10 or Insteon wireless remotes, which can be done by plugging remote-control adaptors into the outlets that lamps are plugged into (amongst several other ways to set it up). See www.smarthome.com

option 3 is Philips' Cue LED light bulbs that are controlled by your iPhone, iPod, or Android device. These do all sorts of fancy things, like turning on or off at certain times, allowing you to turn lights on or off even if you're not home, using voice commands to turn lights on or off, and adjusting the color between cool/daylight and warm-white to suit the time of day or your moods. Both standard and floodlamp bulbs are available.

o

You can use your universal remote control ( T.V ) remote to turn lights off or dim. Set the IRLinc’s sensor eye in your remote and plug into an available outlet. Next, replace your existing wall switches with Intension remote control dimmers.

o

The Clapper Sound Activated On/Off Switch.

Does anyone have experience with these?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here