Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugarnliza_gw

Outdoor motion light recommendations

sugarnliza
11 years ago

So, I'm planning on installing a motion light on the 4 corners of my house- any recommendations? My electrician says 110 degrees isn't sufficient, but what is? Anyone have a motion light that works well and isn't too expensive. The ones from Home Depot and Lowe's don't seem to get very good reviews, but not sure about other places....ideas?

Comments (10)

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

no personal experience, but I have read good reviews on the RAB motion sensor lighting.

Here is a link that might be useful: rab motion light

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Not to hijack but any recommendation for a motion light that runs on Solar (to be hung on a outside wall )?

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Use two bulbs at each corner.

you need to cover around 270 degrees 360 - 90).

• Chief302
    11 years ago

I'd mix-match products. I'd use a RAB Stealth motion-detector(since you want to cover more area with motion), however, that's the most exensive part of that brands fixture at around $100 each. And I tend to use Lithonia brand halogen fixtures. 2 lights per fixture, 150-watt bulbs. The fixture is more low-profile and puts out a lot of light.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Will it operate with typical motion detectors?

They use the same electronics as dimmers in many cases, and the bulb must be compatible with dimming (even if it is only off/on).

This post was edited by brickeyee on Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 11:15

• janesylvia
    11 years ago

Kbedwards and Landscapelighting (John), thank you very much. I ordered the RAB Lighting STL360HBW Super Stealth 360 Sensor with HB101 Bullet Floods.

Are there any cheaper energy efficient bulbs besides the GE PAR38 LED flood lamp? Thanks.

• kbedwards
    11 years ago

Dunno...I bought two LED bulbs for one of my RAB units, just to try them out, so I just picked up whatever they had at Home Depot at the time. I think they were about $30 a piece, so $60 total for two LED floodlight bulbs (and they are BIG).

The normal, non LED floods are what, around $7 each? I have the feeling that the cost/efficiency ratio is not quite there yet, at least on the consumer side. Now if you want to feel better about using less energy, knock yourself out. But when you have 4 or 5, dual head units like I do, if I upgraded all to LED, it would cost me $300 just for the bulbs! And that is assuming that none fail, or that some kid doesn't get happy with a bb gun and decide to take one or more out. Still, looks like prices on LED stuff is dropping pretty steadily, so we'll get there.

• darren72
    10 years ago

I'm thinking about buying this RAB light to install on my garage, but have a question: the instruction manual says "Do not install sensors on a circuit that feeds motor loads
    like kitchen appliances, HVAC equipment, washer/dryer, or garage door openers." I know nothing about this stuff, but it sounds like I'd have to run a second line from my circuit breaker to the garage, one for the light and one for the garage door opening. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

• Karl Lonieski
    10 years ago

Darren72, that is what they recommend. If you install on a circuit with motors, it "may" cause a false trigger, turning on the light without any motion. I have one installed on circuit with garage door opener and the other on a circuit with a washing machine, and have had NO problems! I also use Feit LED bulbs from Costco and they fir and work perfectly! Thisis a great fixture!