Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with lighting plan? Kitchen/family room open to each other

Posted by thirdkitchenremodel (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 10:48

Here's the space, at the top right is the doorway to the dining room and it is a major traffic path through the house:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Right now the only lights are 3 recessed eyeballs along the fireplace wall, indicated by the sun graphic:

I want to put in a ceiling fan with lights in the family room as marked, will that be enough lighting for that space? If the sun is out we generally don't have any lights on, the big sliding door (faces east) provides tons of natural light.

And for the kitchen? I marked places where I thought pot lights should go. Thoughts? I don't plan to use pendants over the peninsula seating.

The question mark is where the door to the garage is, it is a very dark corner and I'm wondering if we need to put another pot light there or would that be overkill? Right next to that spot is my recliner and don't think I'd like a bright light shining down on me. The pantry cabinet opens in that direction so I know we need to be able to see well there, will the ceiling fan lights be enough? Seems like I'd be standing in my shadow.

Appreciate any feedback!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with lighting plan? Kitchen/family room open to each oth

For the dark spot, you could have a pot light on a dimmer or you could use in cabinet lighting which only come on when the pantry cabinet door opens.

Having a pot light in the center of the kitchen doesn't contribute much towards task lighting.

The link below should be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recessed lighting discussion

o

Thanks for the feedback! According to the 35 lumens per sf rule I should need 10 6" HD Eco led bulbs. Would I still be able to get rid of the pot in the center of the room and still have enough light? Thats really the only reason i added one, plus we will probably have a moveable island cart type thing in the middle of the U.

10 pots seems excessive but maybe I need to reconsider? The kitchen part of the space is 12x14.

o

If you intend to use Ucl together with the pot lights, the total can be reduced.

Is there a light over the sink?

o

There are just a couple uppers where there will be UCLs: flanking the range and to,the left of the sink where the base cabs turn the corner and form a peninsula seating area.

Ooo, I,didn't have a light over the sink, whoops! Should I put 3 total over that cab run so there is one over the sink?

In that plan I aimed for 10 pots. Questions (I appreciate your patience!):

Will the pot closest to the question mark provide enough light in that corner?

Can I still eliminate the pot in the middle of the kitchen?

Do I need the pot nearest to the range hood? (I'm,guessing not, there are,lights in the hood)

Should I remove the eyeballs by the brick fireplace wall and do something else there?

Thanks!

o

It might.

Yes, the pot in the center can be eliminated, if you won't have anything there. The pots could be re-arranged to cover more of the perimeter.

If the eyeballs are not working out, the simplest route is to change the trim to standard recessed lights.

o

You can always increase the lumens by using the CR6-800L where needed. I haven't actually installed any yet, but I am putting one of those over my sink (separate switch, could be dimmer if too bright), and more over my kitchen island. The rest will be the HD 575 lumen version. The 800L costs about $55 at present, including delivery.

o

Agreed.

There is the LR6-10L with 1000 lumens output too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here