Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can this be swagged?

Posted by jaschu (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 8:40

We are in the end stages of a kitchen remodel and have only recently noticed our breakfast area fixture is not centered on our table. This project has already been extended by a few months and at this point we're just ready to be finished even if it means I have to swag a lighting fixture. So my question, does anyone think this lighting fixture be swagged? If not, am I only limited to the fixtures that have chains?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can this be swagged?

Probably not
1. Not if rods is used to suspend the fixtures.
2. Even if wires are used to suspend the fixture, swaging would move the point of suspension from under the main hub. The net result would look strange.

Options -
1. re-position the junction boxes if you must have those fixtures.
2. re-position the island.
3. live with it.

Swagging would probably not look good

o

Thanks David. I figured it couldn't be swagged but hoped I might be wrong. We want to reposition the junction boxes but since the ceiling is textured and we're only DIY-wishers, I'm a bit concerned of what the end result may look like.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

o

Swagging will have to be done for each lamp. Swagging multiple lamps in the same immediate area will not look good.

It's a matter of which one would cost more - moving the island or the junction boxes.

The ceiling can be re-textured to match.

Considerations
If your flooring was laid under the island (i.e. - island not set directly on the subfloor), moving the island a couple of inches may be easier.

Moving the junction boxes would involve trips into the space above the ceiling, additional hanger bars/ bracing. If there is a second floor above, this might become expensive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here