Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon1270

My favorite lighting links

Jon1270
17 years ago

Since I set about planning the lighting for my recent kitchen remodel I've spent a lot of time reading everything I could find on lighting design. It's been a bit of an obsession. Anyhow, I thought it might be appropriate to share the better online lighting design resources I've found.

Lighting Design Lab has all sorts of good stuff, including an Articles page with stuff like Eric Strandberg's Residential Ramblings.

Randall Whitehead's Top 10 Lighting Tips are worth looking at. His is the best of the lighting books I've read.

This site has another nice selection of short articles on general lighting design.

The California Lighting Technology Center at U.C. Davis has resources that focus on energy-efficient lighting, including the very nice Title 24 Residential Lighting Design Guide

If you're confused by some of the terminology, this lighting glossary might help.

Lastly, I found this PDF on Reflector lamp photometrics very helpful when learning to understand the most important properties of the bulbs used in the ubiquitous recessed can.

I hope these are useful!

Comments (12)

• newsue
    17 years ago

jon1270 - Thanks for posting these links - I'm going to check them out!

• jilliferd
    17 years ago

Jon,

Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Jill

• bethohio3
    17 years ago

Hi Jon, I've already got Randall Whitehead's site up in another window!

Does anyone have a site or book they would recommend that would serve as a "Lighting for Dummies" book? I want little words and simple pictures so that I can understand the basics before I really start looking at the details of what can be done.

Thanks!

--Beth

p.s. We got the first draft of our house plans today. Fortunately, we don't have to deciding lighting just yet!

• bethohio3
    17 years ago

I'm enjoying this site right now: http://www.lightingplans.com

They even have sample lighting plans, but I'd love to see more text explaining how the various lighting plans were selected.

--Beth

Here is a link that might be useful: Lightingplans.com

• Jon1270
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Bethohio. I'm in Ohio myself. I really liked Randall Whitehead's "Residential Lighting: A Practical Guide." It's not exactly a for-dummies sort of book, but it doesn't assume you already have a grasp on the jargon.

That lightplans website looks interesting. It's specifically geared to promoting energy-efficient lighting, which I think is a good thing. Just be aware that the site has an agenda, and there are some lighting effects that fluorescents simply aren't going to accomplish.

I think one of the best ways to learn about lighting is to start looking around the places you go every day to see where the light is coming from and what the effects are like. Often there will be a pretty and prominent light fixture, like a pendant over your table in a restaurant, but much of the light will be coming from some inconspicuous source you might not otherwise notice. Gather ideas and pictures of spaces that you like. Don't plan your lighting by looking at fixture catalogs; look at the room and decide where the light needs to fall, then work backwards to figure out where a light fixture would need to be to put light where you want it. Decide what type of bulb is likely to generate the quality of light you're looking for, and that will vastly narrow the range of fixtures you'll have to look at.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    17 years ago

If you all are in Ohio, you might want to check out basic lighting classes offered by the IESNA. (Illuminating Engineering Society of North America). I just finished a Lighting Education five week course at Ohio State. Some parts of the class were challenging, but it is a Fundamental Level class.

Any one who has been doing some reading/researching about lighting can easily manage through. The folks who taught the classes were very impressive. A few were from Halophane in Newark, OH, there was a local Lighting Designer, an Architect, etc. It was extremely beneficial to get different points of view on lighting while they were teaching.

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Bump ...

• Jon1270
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, I'd forgotten about this thread. I want to add a link, to PG&E's Pacific Energy Center. The lighting fact sheet titled "The Language of Light" is the best-written explanation I've seen of basic lighting terminology.

Here is a link that might be useful: PG&E's Pacific Energy Center

• tomson
    16 years ago

Recently I spotted a wonderful store (they have on-line catalogue) with hundreds of very unique European lighting fixtures. Go to Casa Di Luce especially to their category Modern Antique

• User
    16 years ago

Thanks for this post. I was going to start a new post asking for links or explanations for lighting for dummies and did a search and found this. So much to learn.
    Thanks, and bump.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

bump

• ericmurphyvc
    8 years ago

Great resources, these are really helpful. I'm in the process of updating a couple rooms in my house with new efficient lighting so anything helps. A couple ones I've fond useful are http://www.usailighting.com/led-lighting-home-energy-savings-guide and http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/10/best-energy-saving-lightbulbs/index.htm