Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allfiredup_gw

Under-cabinet LED lighting for my Nana

AllFiredUp
10 years ago

My 94-year old grandmother's kitchen is not well-lit in some areas, especially the corners of the countertops on both sides of the sink. The main overhead light is a basic flourescent 4-bulb fixture, there's a flourescent light over the sink and 60w bulb in the hood over her stove. There's only one window in the kitchen, located above the sink and no natural light from any other windows/doors reach the kitchen. She has glaucoma and can't handle sunlight from the window anyway, so the blind stays closed.

But her microwave and toaster are to the left of the sink and the largest food prep area and big Kitchen-Aid Mixer (she still makes an amazing Coconut Cake) are to the right side. Both corners are so dark that even my 38-year-old eyes have trouble seeing the buttons on the microwave! So it's definitely a problem (and source of frustration for her)!

Based on my research (online & talking to lighting folks at Home Depot and Lowe's), I think that Under-cabinet LED Light Bars will be the easiest and most affordable solution. Ideally, I would love to have them hard-wired and operated by a light swtich. But the plug-in type is less expensive and obviously easier to install.

Does anyone have either type of under-cabinet lighting or some other alternative that I may not even know about??? Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated.

As soon as I figure out the best way to go, I'm planning to make this an early Christmas present for her! =)

Comments (2)