Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sinewave_gw

YA Kitchen Lighting Post

sinewave
9 years ago

Based on my time lurking and searching on gardenweb (shout out to davidtay), I've put together a rough plan for switching our kitchen from awful hanging fluorescent lights to recessed LEDs. Attached is my drawing of the kitchen with 3 ft. spacing in orange and 4 ft spacing in blue.

I'm leaning towards the 3 ft. spacing with 4" LEDs. But... I'm looking to further the debate on this before I commit.

Also, there is a lot of space between the two rows of lights. Should I be looking to put a middle row in there, perhaps offsetting them in an X formation (four outer, one middle)?

Thanks,
Brian

Comments (5)

• David
    9 years ago

Some comments
    The middle portion need not have a row of cans as the light spread (from a CR4 type led can light) will be sufficient.

The sink should have a light over it (if possible). Yes, the symmetry will be broken, but that would be more practical. That light could be on a sub circuit so that it can be switched on independently of the rest.

The final position and spacing will depend on the location and direction of the ceiling joists (typical ~ 16" on center) as well as whatever obstructions are above the ceiling board. Disk lights are also available today (e.g. - glimpse, commercial electric disk light, ...) if you find that a light is required in tight spots where only a small junction box may be installed. However, the look is somewhat different from a CR4 type light.

UCL will contribute a good amount of light for task lighting and provides additional flexibility in lighting - additional layer of light.

• sinewave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tips, David.

In fact, there is a light above the sink on its own switch; I forgot to place it on the drawing. The range has a light that my wife says she prefers to use and we even have ucls that, well, we don't really use. We have switches everywhere :)

The joists are about 14" apart, so that corresponds to ~16" on center. I'm leaning towards three lights on each side, but will sleep on it.

You agree that a CR4 will be sufficient and the Any thoughts on splitting the wires from the junction box to run a wire on each side (east/west lights)? vs. one wire connecting every light?

• David
    9 years ago

A CR4 light would suffice.

A common way of turning on general ambient lighting should be that all come on at once to uniformly illuminate the space.

Another is to segment the room such that specific portions are controlled by specific switch(es).

The lighting circuitry is typically run with individual lamps in parallel so that localized failures do not affect the rest of the lighting.

Does your question have something to do with reducing the number of switches or controlling the lights in in a different manner?

• sinewave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice, David.

I agree about getting all the lights on one switch. It shouldn't be too hard, so I'll discuss with my wife tonight.

I plotted 6 lights last night and am now leaning to placing 8 lights as it gives more coverage, but I suppose if I don't care about the lights being a uniform distance, I can get some flexibility that way... Again, need to review with my wife.

• David
    9 years ago

Except for the light over the sink - should be separate.