Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendation for kitchen under cab light

Posted by mtom01 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 1:43

I like to get some recommendation for the type of light to use for our kitchen under cabinet light.

I have hardwired each cabinet (120v), and I like to stick with 120v without using a transformer and want to go energy efficient.

I look at LED but the price is just too much, all are above $100/ each.

I have seven cabs, starting from smallest, 9"; 12"; 18"; 21" & 2 - 27"and a corner 36" cab.

We are putting in granite countertop & have marble tiles on the floor.

I want to know if flourocent, xenon, or LED will give the best light on to the granite.

I saw some LED's in Lowes , but they do not have any that will accommodate the 9" cab.

Any tips...

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendation for kitchen under cab light

We like the Kichler direct wire Low V xenon strips that we had installed in our reno this past summer. They give off a very "natural" light spectrum and, at 1"h, they are quite unobtrusive under the cabinets (we don't see them at all behind our 2" valances. We have an off-white Caesarstone quartz countertop and weren't concerned about glare. We also like the after-sales support we get from Kichler. They come in 7, 12.5, 21.5, and 30 inch lengths and fit all our cabinet requirements.

Downside: they do produce quite a bit of heat (as all xenons do).

Our criteria:
- "natural" spectrum of light
- direct wire
- weren't worried about line vs. low voltage but wished to avoid the bulk of a separate transformer
- dimmable or at least high and low settings
- slim or at easily hidden behind valances
- high quality construction

If you have dark granite, I've heard from colleagues that they were advised to steer away from LED and xenon and toward the warmer light of fluorescent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kichler

o

Dimmers are too compatible with LEDs. Maybe pegasus just doesn't carry any! Environmental Lights does!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dimmable LED undercounter lights

o

"Dimmers are too compatible with LEDs."

It all depends on how the low voltage is generated.

Actual transformers need magnetic dimmers, AC/DC power supplies can be designed to work with conventional (Triac) dimmers.

o

... you could also consider going with xenon and installing a dimmer to maximize efficiency.

Actually, with incandescents a dimmer reduces efficiency.

While dimming an incandescent does reduce the energy used, it lowers the filament operating temperature so that the efficacy (in lumens per watt) is reduced. This means that for best efficiency in incandescents, you should install the wattage you actually need, and operate them at full brightness.

Or install dimmable LEDs or fluorescents, neither of which suffers the same level of efficiency reduction when dimmed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here