Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
photon87

Halo's proprietary connector vs GU24 : LED

photon87
11 years ago

Hi

I like to add a bunch of recessed lights to my house (there's none !).

I was about to buy 10 Halo ML5609830 LED modules (900 lumen, 3057K) for $45 at Home Depot along with white baffle trims and Halo LED cans (~ 8 bucks each).

Initially, I considered Eco575 / CR6, but I like higher color temperature (2700K is too yellowish to me) and brighter modules (Eco575 is ~ 600 lumen) and Halo ML5609830 seems to meet my needs for LVR and family room. (I also planned to buy 3500K or 4000K Halo modules for office).

Halo's LED housing has a proprietary socket instead of more common (and standard) GU-24 socket. I'm afraid Halo's proprietary socket may not be 'future-proof'. That is if Cooper lighting stops producing LED modules with the proprietary socket later, I may end up having to replace a housing (housing is cheap, but labor is expensive !) as well as light modules when a light module goes bad (say 12 yrs later ) Adding to this worry is that Halo LED modules are much harder to find online (HD carries them and so do a couple of online stores, but that's it).

I'm now thinking of buying Halos' incandescent bulb housing with Edison socket because Halo's LED module can be hooked up to an Edison socket. Given that there are so many housings with Edison socket installed, I'm pretty sure there will always be adaptors for Edison socket. Do you see any downside of using Halo's incandescent housing for LED modules?

What would think of this issue?

Do you know any good LED module (> 3000K, > 80 CRI, > 900 lumen, hopefully, Thank you in advance

Comments (6)

• David
    11 years ago

The likelihood of Cooper (owner of the halo brand) going bust in the near future is pretty slim.

Get what makes the most sense. For some, the E26 base connector will be more appropriate. All Cree and Sylvania led modules for recessed lighting will work in Halo cans, except where the physical dimensions df the can are too small.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

Unless you are constrained by code (such as California Title 24 in kitchens) as to the type of socket you can have, and you are getting inspections, get the Edison. There are more options of what you can directly put into an Edison can now, and new products will mostly have an Edison option. Edison cans are usually (always?) cheaper than GU24 cans.

As far as having to replace the proprietary Cooper can -- I'd have to look at it, but there is probably enough wire length to spice on a wire to another type of socket, if it ever came to that. For instance, the GU24 version of the CREE comes with an adapter from GU24 to wire, with crimp connectors.

• photon87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very muh for the replies and sorry for the late reply.

I just bit the bullet and went with proprietary cans even though it certainly makes more sense to go with Edison because it'll give me more choices down the road. OTOH, the chance of Cooper lighting going out of business is pretty low. Besides, as attofarad wrote, it appears easy enough to convert the proprietary socket to another type of socket in an unfortunate case of having to replace a LED module.

Thanks again

BTW, I'm very happy with 3000K Halo ML56 in terms of color temperature and brightness (> 900 lumens).

• AbeSF
    11 years ago

Hi,

I am trying to use CREE lights. However my contractor installed HALO led case (with pin connector). At the time I didn't think too much about it but when I am purchasing lights, I am running into the problem. Can someone please guide me how to convert the LED can without replacing it to use Edison or GU24 bulb type. It will really help me a lot.

Thanks a lot.
    Abhinav

• Paul24
    11 years ago

This is not a proprietary connector made by Cooper. This is what is referred to as a "Title 24" connector. It was developed due to strict energy codes out of California so that once a LED module was installed in a fixture it could not be reversed installed going back to halogen/fluorescent lamps. They do manufacturer a series of potlights (RL4) that has a standard base adapter to retrofit to existing or "older" series of housings

And I can tell you 100% that you have no worry of Cooper going out of business or discontinuing this line. The lines in question are some of the most sold in the market, and they were recently bought by Eaton for $11.8 billion (I work for an agency that represents Cooper)

Here is a link that might be useful: RL4 series from Cooper Lighting

• David
    11 years ago

The RL4 lights aren't that impressive.

As for connecting a CR6, the GU24 version should come with a GU24 pigtail which is spliced to the existing wiring. This has been covered in other threads.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz