Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I overload chandelier sockets with higher wattage bulbs?

Posted by cathy0429 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 0:22

Hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving holiday. Great forum!!! I've learnt so much just lurking around here. :)

Today I have a problem to share. Hope you folks can help. This past week we had a new chandelier installed in our two story family room. Nice chandelier, but we missed the fact that it is rated for nine 15W Max Type B bulbs while ordering. :)
So the problem is that this lamp is not throwing out enough light for the room. Each 15W bulb seems so "less bright" to me. Our foyer lamp throws out more light with its three 40watt bulbs right now.

All bulbs (family room and foyer) are the same brand (GE clear) type B's. family has the clear 15W ones, foyer has the clear 40W ones.

So short of taking down and returning the chandelier, trying to see what else we can do here. Can we put 40W incandescent candelabra bulbs in our new nine bulb chandelier, or do we need to get another one with the higher rating?

Just for the sake of knowledge, can someone here also explain what the rating on each socket really means in a general layman sense? If I overload each socket, does that mean the wiring is going to burn down? or that the switch may trip?

Thanks so much,
Cathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I overload chandelier sockets with higher wattage bulbs?

The concerns would be that too much heat would be generated, or that the wiring wouldn't stand the total current. How many bulbs are there?

o

You might try LED candelabra bulbs. A 15 watt incandescent bulb is rated around 100 lumens. Some LED candelabra bulbs are rated in the 200-300 lumen range, yet draw just a few watts.

o

I also suggest the LED lamps. One nearby church has replaced with the LED with great results.

o

"LED candelabra bulbs"

Except most are as ugly as sin.

Only the top half is 'bulb.'
The bottom half is the power supply.

Horrible looking if you have clear glass hurricanes.

o

will you have lamp shades on your candles? if so, you can go with fluorescent candelabra bulbs. they are not as expensive as LED ones, but not very pretty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here