Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmnorse

Kitchen Lighting Plan Help

jmnorse
12 years ago

Hi, I was hoping some of the really good minds around here could help review my kitchen lighting plan.

I have a 26' by 21' space that is cut in half by an overhead beam to create a living room and a dining/kitchen area. My living room is already finished, but the dining/kitchen area is still in the works. The attached image shows my plan (the table is cluttered since I modeled it with and w/o a leaf installed, sorry!).

I color coded the lights to show the different circuits and the switch or dimmer that controls them. There are five switched circuits: range hood lights, sink lights, overhead kitchen lights, undercabinet lights, and dining room lights.

The D or S indicates a dimmer or a switch.

The light over the table is a chandelier.

The light over the sink is a 4" recessed can.

All other lights are 6" recessed cans.

I'm trying to figure out several things:

1) Should I be using the 6" cans or should I switch to 4" cans? The 4" are so much more expensive!

2) Should I definitely use Cree LEDs or ones with similary beam spreads to prevent light from pooling?

3) Is there enough light and is my placement ok?

4) Should I create another switched circuit for the two recessed cans in the dining room to allow the chandelier to operate on its own? I could probably put another switch to the right of the stairs.

5) Do I need lights in the pantry? It seems like recessed cans wouldn't be able to light it all the way. I supposed I would run that switched circuit off of a door open or motion detector.
{{!gwi}}From Shared

Thanks!

Justin

Comments (4)