Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front porch recessed lights

Posted by bostonhome (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 26, 09 at 23:07

I am putting in a few recessed lights in my wrap-around Victorian front porch. There are two front windows facing out. Should the placement of the lights be in front of each window or in between? What size cans should I use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front porch recessed lights

Need additional information.

What size is the porch, how high is the ceiling. etc.

Typically a 6" recessed, damp location listed, fixture should suffice for a 9-10 foot ceiling spaced 6' center to center with a 42W TRT lamp.

o

I would install 5" recessed fixtures with a black,not white baffle,and 50PAR30 bulbs.
You should always avoid placing fixtures in front of windows,unless they are tiffany style glass, and you want to appreciate them from the interior space.
Install the fixtures so as to highlight the exterior finishes and features of your home.
Uniformity of light is unnecessary , so make lights show of your home.
You only need an average of 10' spacing to obtain good lighting levels.
If you have invested in an attractive front dooe, think of installing a 4" low voltage MR16 recessed fixture , also with a black baffle

o

Norm, can you explain reasoning for black baffle? I want to add recessed lights to my front porch while we're redoing the ceiling, picked up 6" damp location ICAT cans that came with white baffles/trim in a 6-pack "contractor pack". Is there any reason to buy new ones?

I figured I'd space them 6-7ft apart depending on where joists are (builder was supposed to do 16" OC) on my 48-ft long porch. Means there won't be one centered on the front door, but we have coach lights to each side.

I have 12/2 "interior" Romex, same as electrician used in our fully-soffited uninsulated garage, so I figure that should be OK for the porch lights as well?

o

The white baffles may look good against your souffit material, but I don't believe that anyone looks at souffits.
But once the lights are turned on at night , each fixture becomes a "glare bomb" that really detracts from your home's appearance.
With the black baffle, the glare is baffled,letting the ligth highlight your home's facade.
I suggested to use one over the door, so that you will highlight your front entrance...usually a feature of your home.
I can`t count the number of times I`ve driven past homes where I can`t even see the door because of the bright lights..what a waste.
If you want wall fixtures, use 10 or 15 watt lamps, and let the recessed fixtures highlight your door.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here