Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lighting for low sloped ceiling

Posted by newbie2010 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 23:05

we are in the middle of renovating two bedrooms for our young kids. we raised the floor of the main part of the rooms in order to match the rest of the house and smaller parts of the rooms. before raising the floor, the ceiling sloped from 7 feet to 9 feet. after floors were raised and leveled (it was very uneven floor!), it now slopes from a little over 6 feet to 8 1/2 feet, which i am scared is too low.

now our main problem is what type of lighting to use and where to place it?

rooms will roughly be 10x10 in addition to smaller areas near the closets. we can't do recessed lights. will track lighting work on sloped ceiling? or should we buy pendant lights and hang them off-centered so they are at least hitting closer to the higher part of the ceiling? i could not find any info or good pics on off-centering an overhead light. we gave up our hopes for ceiling fan when we decided to raise the floor, but now i'm regretting it. please help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lighting for low sloped ceiling

I understand what you're going through. Some years back I reworked a finished basement and ended up with low ceilings. At a friend's suggestion I installed recessed fixtures and regretted it ever after - the lighting was dim and shadowy.

If I were doing a low-ceiling room again, I'd probably just use one or two simple, low cost, low profile surface mount fixtures. At least then I'd get some indirect light to break up the shadows. I realize that might not look as good on a sloped ceiling, but I think any pendant is going to hang too low.

Davidtay may have some recommendations for LED panel lighting. It's going to be pricey, though.

o
RE: lighting for low sloped ceiling: no overhead light?

thanks for your message. i'm not sure surface mount will work because of how sloped our ceiling is. how about no overhead light and just using lamps? we could hook the main lamp to the light switch. does anybody with no overhead light in a bedroom regret it? the rooms will have two big windows so there will be lots of natural light.

i don't want to be kicking myself for not installing an overhead light, but i just can't picture any overhead light looking okay with the ceilings so low and slanted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here