Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with old lamp shade

Posted by rubybaby43 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 22, 08 at 22:37

Hello! I was hoping to find some help with an old lamp shade from a floor lamp that was my mom's. I don't even know what to call it! LOL! Here's a pic of the shade...

...and the lamp...

I have looked for a shade like this but cannot find one, either in stores or online. I guess if I knew specifically what kind of shade this is called I might have better luck. I plan on painting the lamp itself black and really didn't want to use a dingy, yellowing shade.

Thanks for any input you all might have!
Kristy :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with old lamp shade

Take the shade to a lighting store and they can help you. If the shade is still in good shape you could try dyeing it.

o

hello kristy,
i had a second hand reading light and a couple of second hand lampshades which i re-did. dunno if they'll help you get some ideas on how you can do up your lampshade :)... perhaps you needn't have to buy a new one :)
you can take a look at them in one of my post in my blog at blogspot. the link is below :)
hope it helps:) luthien

Here is a link that might be useful: pimp & paint

o

I think it might be called a "downbridge" lamp but I'm not sure. I have never seen one with a shade quite like that. I would take both the lamp and the shade to a lighting store, because if you find another shade you'll want to be sure it fits the lamp.

seagrass

o

Check out this web page: http://www.lampshadeshop.com/lampshades13b.htm

It looks as if it might be a halo shade of some kind. I think seagrass is correct--that is a downbridge lamp

Try searching in your area for a store that rewires and repairs old lamps. They tend to know a lot about lamps and can probably help you find a shade that will work with your lamp, or maybe even recover the frame of the existing shade. I've bought a lot of old lamps without shades from Ebay and at thrift stores and the folks at the local lamp repair store are just great at finding replacement shades for 60 year old lamps.

Here is a link that might be useful: lamp shade info

o

Thanks for the suggestions! I guess I will take it in to a lighting store...I never thought of that. huh.

Luthien, I like your lamp makeovers. VERY cute!!

Thanks again!
Kristy :)

o

thank you kristy :) glad you like them... come visit me often :)

hugs
"luthien" :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here