Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crashball

Kitchen lighting help

crashball
11 years ago

Finalizing our kitchen design and need some help with lighting. I have been reading lots of good things about the Cree CR6/Ecosmart LED lights, i think we go with that, but i have yet to see it to see if the color is what we want.

As far as layout, below is my thoughts so far. (placement is approximate) The red dots would be the pot lights, the green are pendants. Not sure if the one over the sink will stay, seems like it might seem too busy competing with pendants over the island - that's something i need to discuss with my wife yet.

The refrigerator area is throwing me as the cabinet next to it is a 24" deep pantry. Doesn't make sense to place one over the top of the refrigerator.

The finished cabs will be about 12" from the ceiling with crown molding. I thought about ambient lighting on top of the cabs so its not a dark pit above them. Also thought about under-cabinet puck lighting of some type. Would that affect the placement of the pot lights at all? I planned on keeping them as close to the edge of the countertops as possible.

Comment (1)

• David
    11 years ago

Cove lighting (ambient lighting on top of the cabinets) would add an additional layer of lighting controlled independently (on /off, dimmed) of the cans and pendants.

The stuff inside your ceiling - ducts, piping, vents, layout of the ceiling joists will have a bigger impact on the placement of the can lights than the presence /absence of cove lighting.