Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slc2053_gw

Need 3/4' undercabinet lighting depth! Would strip lighting work?

slc2053
16 years ago

It seems that all undercabinet lighting (the thinner ones) are 1 inch. The space under our cabinets is just shy of that...like 15/16. We want undercabinet lights but don't want to see the light hanging slighly below the cabinet frame. We thought of rope lighting, but most people say it doesn't look good. I did see some "strip lighting" online, but didn't know if this was an option.

We have electricity run to two places above the cabinets, but it is set up for a standard outlet.

Do we have any options other than buying lighting that is 1 inch thick? We only need accent..not really for task...

Thanks!!

Comments (9)

• ltngbolt
    16 years ago

There is a light fixture by task lighting called luche which I believe is 7/8", about the lowest profile I know of.

Here is a link that might be useful: luche light

• slc2053
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info..but they require a transformer and we're just wanting something to plug in....

• birkie_2006
    16 years ago

I just ordered these micro fluorescent lights that are 0.75in wide by 1-3/8in high. They come with a plug and you can also connect them in a line.

Pegasus recommended the 3000K warm bulbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pegasus micro fluorescent lights

• slc2053
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks birkie..I think they will work...at least for two of my cabinets...we have a 12 inch wide cabinet but the cavity underneath is only 10.5 inches and those lights with the cord are 11.5 (shortest one available!)

I can't win! I may go with these though for the other two I just don't want to have different types of light that would be noticeable...Anyway, thanks again!

• Jon1270
    16 years ago

You might look into getting some light rail molding to make the space deeper.

• birkie_2006
    16 years ago

I think you only need to use one plug at the outlet end. You can connect up several light fixtures one-to-the-other in a straight line using the direct connector that comes with each light fixture.

If you have to angle to a corner cab, or insert lights into a cavity, you can still connect the lights to each other using their flexible connector.

Call Pegasus Lighting Associates and they will help you if you give them your measurements. 1-800-392-4818.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pegasus micro-fluroescent undercab lights

• slc2053
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will birkie...maybe they can assist. The one cabinet that is 12 inches isn't beside another cabinet with lighting..it's on the other side of the microwave over the stove and there are no other cabinets that with lighting beside it so it needs a light of its own.

Jon..we really don't want to add more molding to this kitchen, plus the cabinets are in and it would be hard to match the stain and finish. Just hoping to find some lighting that would work....but thanks for the suggestion. Not sure why cabinet makers don't make the recessed area a bit deeper...ahhh...so they can sell molding for outrageous prices!

• slc2053
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think we're ordering the lights from Pegasus, at least for two cabinets...then, now here's a novel idea, we may use a small lamp in the other area where it's too small to find the right undercabs, plus the lamp will be beside and area under a cab where we can't put any lighting because of a stemware rack attached to the cabinet underneath...At least that is the plan as of today! ;-)

• pegasus_2008
    16 years ago

Just to let everyone know, the link for this post has changed:

I think you only need to use one plug at the outlet end. You can connect up several light fixtures one-to-the-other in a straight line using the direct connector that comes with each light fixture.
    If you have to angle to a corner cab, or insert lights into a cavity, you can still connect the lights to each other using their flexible connector.

Call Pegasus Lighting Associates and they will help you if you give them your measurements. 1-800-392-4818.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pegasus micro-fluroescent undercab lights

New Link: www.pegasusassociates.com/MicrofluorescentT4.jsp

Here is a link that might be useful: Pegasus Associates Lighting