Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
double check my info,light 2 funky corners

Posted by idabean (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 22:03

Been reading here for weeks, so I think I can at least formulate my questions. Thanks for the amaziing amount of information, although I understand about one third of it!

1) The lights will be hard-wired.
2) Undercabinent depth is just 1/2"inch.
Am I correct that only LEDs are suitable for that depth and also have the advantage of being cooler?

3) Please recommend a source. HD is also nearby .

4) All cabs are 11" wide.
Two 25.5 cabs are contiguous,interrupted by 1 3/4 "bar".

The other is a single 31 3/4 long (11 wide)

4): It's recommended to place the light as far forward as poss.
We were talking about xenon, and the electrician was talking about a light that fit the entire bottom of the cabinent. Even if it exists, that seems like overkill.

Q: The led would be a bar or strip, right?
Facing forward, I assume the light bar/strip still illuminates the back of the counter enough.
Q: Is a continuous light even possible with the 1.5 bar between the 25 inch cabs? If so how?

5) There are two funky corners b/c in original plan there were posts to work around. Ended up doing total demo, posts gone but poor (no) communication between GC and KD left 2cabinents minus their corner depths.
6) The first photo is a straight run cab; it just ends at the wall.
7) The next two are the corner cabinent; obviously it makes a r hand turn.
Q: How might the led strips, if that's what is used, be arranged?
I'm expecting the corners may not be able to be lit.
OR maybe those corner edges can be sawn out to allow for a light all the way into the corner
 photo IMAG0016_zps93a3db65.jpg

photo IMAG0014_zpsd520067b.jpg
 photo IMAG0017_BURST002_COVER_zps9b7f0793.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: double check my info,light 2 funky corners

2. Yes, LEDs will be cooler.

The typical height for direct wired Ucl ranges from .75" to 1.25". The smaller the profile, the higher the cost. There are panel lights.

None of the good options can be obtained from HD or Lowes.

Gaps in the illumination can be minimized with direct wire Ucl like UniLume where the output is sufficiently high and diffuse.

The DIY Ucl and continuation threads have more info and the question about corners is answered there. The bars have to be perpendicular to avoid shadow zones.

o

We aren't doing it ourselves,but I've discovered no one working on this project is used to the odd and unpredictable features in 200 yr old houses.
.75 is bigger than the .50 under the cab, so won't the fixture show below the cab?
I can print the relevant parts of the continuation thread
And give it to the electrician.
I stll have a way to go to understanding this.

o

Would it be possible to add a valence around the cabinet front?
Alternatively, panel lighting could be used.

There are a number of vendors which do custom sizes to fit the cabinet undersides.

o

Thanks. I have to google someof these termns
A small peice of trim could be added. Of course I'd rather not do any more fiddling around than we've already done. I think it was environmental lites that had leds < 1/2 "

o

Any led Ucl under .5" profile is most likely low voltage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here