Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestion for top quality CFL for kitchen?

Posted by cruzmisl (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 7, 10 at 21:51

Hi All,

I have six pot lights in my kitchen and want to replace the incan's with CFL's to save some money. I bought a bunch of different ones with the latest ones being the GE Reveal CFL. They seem to take FOREVER to come up to full brightness but the color rendition is off. I had a steak I cooked to medium and it looked orange. Once I put it under a normal incan light the correct pink color was shown. Others I have tried started quickly but everything looked like it had a greenish hue to it. I'm tired of buying and returning bulbs so I'm hoping someone here has the answer.

Is there a perfect CFL? One that renders colors properly, won't make my kitchen look green or blue (I don't care for the "dayligh"t bulbs) and lights up quickly? Essentially I just want a CFL that works like a standard incan.

Thanks!
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestion for top quality CFL for kitchen?

Get an LED bulb.

o

"Get an LED bulb" is a bit too general, I'm afraid, and I don't think I can yet agree. They're a much less mature technology than CF right now. I've heard good things about the Cree LEDs, but also some horror stories about the cheap retrofits. I definitely don't recommend Lights of America brand LED retrofits.

I've been using CF retrofits since about 1992, and for now I'm staying with them.

I have Philips "Universal" SLS CFs in several fixtures - have had for some years now - and they're still my favorites. They seem to come up to full brightness about as quickly as most CFs, faster than some, though whether it'd be fast enough for your taste is something only you can judge. They last and last and last (rated 10,000 - 15,000 hours average life vs the usual 6,000 - 8,000). Although I haven't yet taken one apart - none of mine has failed yet! - they seem very robust and well made. The light quality is very similar to incandescent, at least to my eyes.

They have a few downsides, which may or may not bother you. First, the long life and higher quality come at a price - these are not the $1.50 cheapies you buy at the big box stores. Also, they can be hard to find, probably because they're not cheap and so don't sell fast; the big box stores don't stock them. Finally, they aren't the now-typical small-round-base, helical-coil-lamp style.

However, if they fit into your fixtures and you don't object to the appearance, I don't have any hesitation in recommending them, assuming they haven't changed significantly since the last batch I bought a few years back.

No endorsement of the dealer below is intended. I haven't traded with these folks and know nothing about them; I just found them in a web search.

Try one and see if you like it. If not ... well, I tried. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Philips SLS 20 watt compact fluorescent retrofits

o

You can try a CR6 from HD (~ 49.97) and see whether you like it.

CFL bulbs tend to have shorter life spans when used in recessed cans. I've replaced 10+ (mostly Lights of America, Sylvania, some generics and 2 Philips) due to failure of the integrated ballast (All brands) or premature blackening of the tube (Lights of America).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here