Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen hanging lights advice needed (with photos)

Posted by ebean (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 21, 10 at 21:25

our 1925 brooklyn kitchen (newly gutted and almost finished) has 6 recessed lights and needs two hanging lights - 9' ceilings - and we are going to hang them pretty high ...a cross between a semi-flush and a short pendant.
my husband says that he wants a nice fixture that doesn't look too 'solid'...we thought we were going with the basic schoolhouse pendant but he thinks it's too opaque and very white. (the color bands that some come in are beautiful but do not go with our antique (as in distressed antique venetian tiles). i found this schoolhouse like 'prismatic glass' pendant from restoration hardware. i guess i'm looking for some opinions.
From Kitchen Reno

i hope you can get a sense...i'll also add a link to the kitchen reno album so you can see the plans.

From Kitchen Reno

here you see 4 of the 6 recessed lights and the space for one of the pendants
From Kitchen Reno

and for this one i tried to get a view of looking from the dining room doorway into the kitchen. (but looking up at the lighting)

From Kitchen Reno

and below is a link to the whole reno.

Here is a link that might be useful: our kitchen reno

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen hanging lights advice needed (with photos)

The one you're showing looks nice. I like the Pendant Light options here also.

o

Just saw this posting. what a coincidence. We've pretty much decided on this very same fixture as it has the schoolhouse shape but the faceted glass gives it a more modern look...at least to us. We plan on hanging one over a peninsula (9 Inch) and another (11 inch) over a small table in the kitchen. I thin you made a great choice.

o

Great choice! I have 9' ceilings and 2 Wellesley pendants from RH (discontinued) in a similar placement to yours and they look great. As you probably know, they are on sale right now. :)

o

FWIW, I ADORE these lights!

I've been looking at them admiringly for weeks but they're too large for the area I want to use them. I've tried googling "prismatic" and looking at images just to see if I can find something smaller. If I could use them, I definitely would.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here