Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cambreno

Sconce for girl's bathroom

cambreno
14 years ago

Can anybody suggest any websites to look at for children's lighting?

I'm redoing the bathroom my 4-year-old daughter (and guests) use and since my daughter has endured months of renovations (not just the bathroom) I'm making it a fun bathroom for her, with a pink and white checkerboard floor. I need to get some sconces for next to the mirror and would love to find a cute sconce that a little girl who likes pink would like.

Someone I know found me some lights at a couple of sites but they have very long order times (6-8 weeks) and they are expensive so I'm trying to find some alternatives. FYI, here are those sites:

http://2modern.com/modern-baby/Lighting/Agnes-Hoss-Roots-Single-Arm-Sconce

http://2modern.com/modern-baby/Lighting/Thomaspaul-Hummingbird-Magenta-Sconce

Any leads will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Comments (3)

• housavvy
    14 years ago

Here's one of the first places I look
    Vanity Lights
    Wall Lights

• crzyktchnlady
    14 years ago

Check out the link below for a great assortment of pink, pink, pink and other girly sconces and light fixtures. I'll bet you will find something there (don't stop on the first page; there are ten pages of girls' sconces).

For something a bit more sophisticated, rejuvenation.com has a charming sconce shade (glass) called Raspberry Ruffle. It's in their antique collection and is $75. Go into "Restored Antiques" and look under Vintage Shades. You could buy an inexpensive fixture with a 2.25" fitter at Home Depot and put this shade on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Girly Sconces

• ginger_light
    14 years ago

A few things to consider first: Are these sconces the only source of light in this bathroom? If so, you need to find sconces that use standard base bulbs and that have a glass shade instead of fabric. To spave money, find the least expensive sconce with a backplate that has some detail and paint it to match the rooms decor, if you are looking for pink. Make sure the glass is a frosted or white globe to obtain the maximum light. Th sconce should be rated for 100 Watts. If you place these with the globe facing up on either side of your mirror, no more than 32" apart you will have great light for grooming. If these are not the primary light, find an inexpensive sconce with a candleabra size socket and use a clip on shade in the color of your choice. The fixture can be painted or use a metal finish that matches your bath fixtures. Spend your money on the shade, which is what everyone will see. I have painted many fixtures in a silver leaf to use with chrome or brushed nickel. The silver leaf softens the overall effect but will still coordinate with your bathroom fixtures. Gold leaf works well with Brass fixtures. Often in a child's room, white paint is a good choice.

I notice that one of the previous responses is from a person who is obviously affiliated with the site they recommend (Reliance) since that is the only response they ever make. Sorry that some think this only a place to advertise.

If you are on a tight budget, try one of the solutions above and you will have a very custom look for little money. Jubilee makes lots of shades or check out stores in your local area for a shade. You can also dress up an inexpensive white shade with the addition of a ribbon and a bow or try gluing beads on the bottom and top. You can find these at your local craft store. On a hardback smooth shade, stenciling or hand painting works well also.

Shop second hand stores or garage sales for a crystal sconce and paint it, add a lovely shade for a shabby chic look for a fraction of the price.

I hope these suggestions help.
    Ginger

Here is a link that might be useful: My Web Site