Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to save money on recessed lighting on house

Posted by maysf (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 20:54

Thanks so much for the help in the past. I need you help again, I want to cut down the cost of recessed lights for the entire house. I will use led module cr4 HD ones in the kitchen. But for the rest of the rooms(living room and bedrooms), I am thinking of halo can (4" or 6") with fluorescent bulbs or incandescent bulbs (no halogen since they are too hot). I will replace them with LED in a few years.
Another option is use 6" HD led in the bedrooms (cheaper), 4" hd led in the living room.
Any input would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to save money on recessed lighting on house

See the led recessed lighting thread which has an infra red picture of a cfl in a recessed cab.

If you intend to use led over time, do not buy the trim ring as you will probably end up discarding it. The RT4 is under $40 @ Lowes.

There should be incentives from your local utility.

o

What is trim ring? Is it the trim? Can I just put a normal light bulb in the can without trim? The reason for not buying trim is because the led module (light bulb and trim together like cr4 at HD) that I could buy? What is rt4 at lowes? Is it 4" led module ?
Where could I find the cheapest 4" can? $20 for halo at HD. How about elco brand? Will cr4 fit this can?

o

Yes, it is the trim intended to hide the hole edges around the can. Light bulbs would work even without the trim.

If you install the CR4 or the RT4 from Sylvania and sold by Lowws, you will discard the trim ring.

There are quite a number of cans out on the market. You need to read the published specs for the chosen led module and can.

All this info is on the led recessed lighting thread.

o

Thank you so so much, Davidtay. I was going to buy the trim and light bulbs. I can use normal light bulb till I see good deals for led modules.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here