Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rfgalea

Kitchen lighting help

rupes
13 years ago

I am remodeling my kitchen and trying to figure out the lighting. The room is about 12'X12' and below is a diagram of the layout. #3 is the sink. Wall cabinets #14 and #15 have glass doors. The hood will have lights in it to light the stove. There is about 5" between the top of the wall cabinets and the ceiling. I have access from the attic above.

I plan to use LED light strips for under cabinet lighting and to light the interior of the cabinets with glass doors.

I had assumed I would use recessed cans for the rest of the lighting. The three red marks are places were I thought recessed lights should go but after that I am a bit lost.

Can I just put another recessed light over the sink or should I have a light hanging down over the sink to avoid shadows?

There used to be a linear fluorescent above the sink behind a panel. This worked well and it seems like this would be a good and efficient way to light along the window wall but I don't know how to make it look good.

I could put more recessed lights along the wall with the fridge. Or I could have a surface mount light. One advantage of having a surface mount light is that I would not have recessed lights sticking up in an inconvenient spot in the attic.

I need to figure this out fairly quickly as it will soon be holding me back.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Rupert

Comments (5)