Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen lighting help

Posted by rupes (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 19:44

I am remodeling my kitchen and trying to figure out the lighting. The room is about 12'X12' and below is a diagram of the layout. #3 is the sink. Wall cabinets #14 and #15 have glass doors. The hood will have lights in it to light the stove. There is about 5" between the top of the wall cabinets and the ceiling. I have access from the attic above.

I plan to use LED light strips for under cabinet lighting and to light the interior of the cabinets with glass doors.

I had assumed I would use recessed cans for the rest of the lighting. The three red marks are places were I thought recessed lights should go but after that I am a bit lost.

Can I just put another recessed light over the sink or should I have a light hanging down over the sink to avoid shadows?

There used to be a linear fluorescent above the sink behind a panel. This worked well and it seems like this would be a good and efficient way to light along the window wall but I don't know how to make it look good.

I could put more recessed lights along the wall with the fridge. Or I could have a surface mount light. One advantage of having a surface mount light is that I would not have recessed lights sticking up in an inconvenient spot in the attic.

I need to figure this out fairly quickly as it will soon be holding me back.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Rupert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen lighting help

How married are you to style over function? Recessed cans are fashionable, but they're not very practical for task lighting. You simply can't match the even, practical task lighting of a surface mount fluorescent fixture with recessed cans, unless you turn your ceiling into swiss cheese.

If you must have something like what you see in the home improvement magazines, I'd suggest pendants with light-transmitting (not dark-colored) shades.

o

You could use LED panel or LED molding lighting if you don't want T8 fixtures. The downside is that it could resemble office lighting.

o

David and David thanks for the input.

There is a good chance I will sell next year and I would worry that fluorescents would put off buyers.
R

o

If you're planning to sell soon, I would suggest doing the bare minimum.

I think that buyers would likely remodel anyway.

o

The kitchen had not been remodeled since the 60's. Hopefully having a nice kitchen will help the place sell when the time comes and I am doing most of the work myself.

It probably makes sense to just put recessed lights in I just don't know how many I need or where best to place them.
R

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here