Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renozone_gw

Xenon vs. Fluorescent above cabinet lighting

renozone
14 years ago

We are currently looking at installing our over and under-cabinet lighting and I need some input.

DH wants xenon 12v overcabinet for 'ambient' light (something like alico's 12v ZeeLight or Kichler's directwire) and then fluorescents under-cabinet to light the countertops and provide more 'funtional' task light.

I say opposite should be the case- I would like to highlight the 12ft ceilings abover the cabinet with a bright overcabinet light, and keep the undercabinet low voltage and more "ambient". In my opinion, there is plenty of light from other sources (large window, over sink task lighting, central fixture, 2 pendants over pennisula) to keep the countertop worksurfaces suitably lit.

I can be convinced otherwise- if someone can let me know how much the xenons will cast. My concern is they will just

'glow' and not highlight the ceiling enough. Also, I fear the fluorescents will be too harsh and white under the cabinets, making our beautiful (and expensive!) granite and glass tile look bad.

Any opinions/advice welcomed whole heartedly!!

Comments (2)