Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Xenon vs. Fluorescent above cabinet lighting

Posted by renozone (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 15, 09 at 18:53

We are currently looking at installing our over and under-cabinet lighting and I need some input.

DH wants xenon 12v overcabinet for 'ambient' light (something like alico's 12v ZeeLight or Kichler's directwire) and then fluorescents under-cabinet to light the countertops and provide more 'funtional' task light.

I say opposite should be the case- I would like to highlight the 12ft ceilings abover the cabinet with a bright overcabinet light, and keep the undercabinet low voltage and more "ambient". In my opinion, there is plenty of light from other sources (large window, over sink task lighting, central fixture, 2 pendants over pennisula) to keep the countertop worksurfaces suitably lit.

I can be convinced otherwise- if someone can let me know how much the xenons will cast. My concern is they will just
'glow' and not highlight the ceiling enough. Also, I fear the fluorescents will be too harsh and white under the cabinets, making our beautiful (and expensive!) granite and glass tile look bad.

Any opinions/advice welcomed whole heartedly!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Xenon vs. Fluorescent above cabinet lighting

Go with fluorescent for the up-lighting.

Xenon is more likely to "scallop" if it is used for up-lighting. If xenon is chosen for up-lighting, I would recommend a frosted lens, but at that point, you might as well just go with fluorescent.

o
RE: Xenon vs. Fluorescent above cabinet lighting

I have installed flourescents both under my cabinets and above,with really excellent results.
The above cabinet units are the regular T8 strips mounted at the back of the cabinets, and the undercounter units are like the Kichler units, but are ajustable to minimize the reflection on the counter.They also were better that having the reflection of the many Xenon lamps needed to do the same job
We put the upper units in as an afterthought, but they have become our first-light source, and make a great night light.
The undercounter units certainly didn't detract from our tile back splash.
In both cases I used lamps that were 3500k with an 85 CRI

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here