Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kichler UCLs -- You Guys Are So Smart

Posted by fran123 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 18:52

Help--feeling so dense and so lost in most of this discussion about LED UCLs. Have waded through all the posts more than once and have managed only a limited grasp of basic concepts. I am presently hung up on in-wall direct wire vs transformers etc. I have an electrician who has made a bid that will cover all LED wiring, so cost or convenience of in-wall wiring is not an issue. However, because there is such a price differential between the the various options, the electrician is looking to me to pick a 'system.' The electrician will start doing his stuff in 2 days. Since every part of my kitchen remodel has run over budget, I am trying to avoid spending $1500+ on LED fixtures.

I was looking at the Kichler LED Design Pro setup , which would take some of the guesswork out of figuring out how to proceed , but have questions about their "fully dimmable" vs. "fixed dimming--on low, medium, and high). The fixed dimmable modules are half the cost of the fully dimmable. Is that a big deal? Does anyone have the low-medium-high dimming Kichlers?

Many thanks to you all for all the Q&A you have shared on the topic of UCLs....Haven't caught up to you but do appreciate the complexity much more now than previously. ;->)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kichler UCLs -- You Guys Are So Smart

The max lite or powercore profile Ucl may be more cost effective.

o

Davidtay, I also lack understanding. But, yesterday I saw the MaxLite Plug-and-Play Dimmable Under Cabinet Light Bar with Diffuser, 33 LEDs, 12 inch Warm White. I think this may work for me, but I am still unsure.

It seems that you would purchase a 6" and a 12" bar to place under an 18" cabinet or 3- 12" bars to place under a 36" cabinet. I didn't see where they carried larger than 12" bars. They are also hooked up directly to the house current? They do not need a transformer- is it built in? Do they still draw a low current?

I really would like to understand. I apologize if my questions are either not logical or seem very basic.

Thanks, Joan

o

All direct wire lights - eW profile, uniLume, maxLite, ... will be directly connected to the 120V AC supply (house supply).

The current draw depends on the total length of light bars installed in series.

You need to measure the underside of the cabinets first. The lights may need to be staggered as an 18" cabinet may not have sufficient clearance for a 18" light bar series (ie - bars connected end to end).

The UCL continuation thread has more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED UCL continuation

o

I highly recommend the philips eW profile powercore LED bars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here