Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Better to light room with two 300W or three 150W fixtures?

Posted by artemis78 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 18:37

We have two options for general lighting for our kitchen, and I'm not sure which is better.

Option A:
2 ceiling mount fixtures with 3 sockets each, 100W/socket (600W total), spaced evenly across length of room; 16" shade

Option B:
3 ceiling mount fixtures with 1 socket each, 150W (450W total), spaced evenly across length of room; 10"-14" shade (flexible)

The room is 18' x 13' with 9' ceilings and will have some additional task lighting over counters and eating area, but we want the ceiling lights to provide overall general lighting. These will be CFL bulbs in equivalent wattages as we're in California. Is one of these configurations going to be a better solution than the other to provide ample light and avoid shadows? Is 300W too much for a single fixture to be providing, or is there a benefit to having multiple sockets in a single fixture? Can't seem to find much info on this...

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Better to light room with two 300W or three 150W fixtures?

I think that three will tend to even out the light somewhat more than two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here