Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitykat44

Calling other oddballs - light bulb dilemma!

kitykat
9 years ago

Full disclosure here... we do not watch TV. We are readers, as in books.

The 50/100/150 bulb in the table lamp between our chairs went out. Wanting to be Eco-conscious, I looked at LED's. They are not yet powerful enough for reading lamp use.

I looked on GW and read threads saying most lamps should use/need only 60 wt equivalents. Certainly enough for viewing TV, not so for reading. I looked at CFL sizing. Nothing over 100wt equivalent (certainly not a 3-way) fits the lamp.

So, are there other avid readers out there? What do you use for good lighting? Also, all my lamps have 3-way switches.

At this point, I am less than happy with the new regulations that were enacted before technology was fully prepared. I would love to save on energy usage, but... Suggestions?

Comments (9)

• llaatt22
    9 years ago

Hint:
    The new banning regs had more to do with the fact that all of the patents had run out, not on the bulbs, that happened many decades ago, but on the latest machinery designed years ago to make the incandescent bulbs most efficiently.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Not sure of the brand but I do have some 3-way CFL that claim to have 50/100/150 and the light output seems equivalent to the incandescent. I swapped them in and the wife did not notice the difference.
    Just checked and the brand is Earthmate. Watt input is 12/22/33.

• emma
    9 years ago

Look for lamps with two blubs with separate on and off chains. I have one and it works nicely. Two 60 watts gives you twice the light as single bulbs do.

I also have 3 pole lights with GE halgon 3 way bulbs. Two against the back wall and one by my chair. Their globes point up and put out enough light to read by, torches lamps or something like that.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

We replaced every bulb in our RV with LED bulbs and I can attest that they are definitely bright enough to read by. The leds are very bright compared to other bulbs, you need to look at the color brightness scale on them not just the equivalent wattage. A 2000k bulb is much less bright and more yellowish, 6000k and higher are brilliant white and extremely bright leaning toward the blue spectrum.
    The best source I have found for good Led bulbs at extremely good prices is eBay. I only order from sellers in the US, most of the brands are the same you find at Costco and the big box stores.
    I researched the differences between the types of bulbs and how to determine what an actual equivalent would be. Also an led is instantly on unlike the cfl that comes on low and brightens slowly.

Get a good led 6000 - 6500k (super white) bulb and try it out, some are definitely dimable but don't think you will find any 3 way.

The wattage of an incandescent lamp or LED lamp tells you how much power consumption that particular lamp will draw, not necessarily the power output of the lamp. This is how a smaller wattage rating on an LED lamp can give a higher lumen output than incandescent lamps; LEDs save more energy and are also brighter.
    For example, an LED bulb with comparable brightness to a 60-watt incandescent is only 8 to 12 watts.
    If you want to get technical, light color (color temperature) is measured in kelvins. The lower the number, the warmer (yellower) the light. So, your typical incandescent is somewhere between 2,700 and 3,500K. If that's the color you're going for, look for this range while shopping for LED bulbs.
    If you want a much brighter light, like for reading, go for a bigger number.

So for your 60watt incandescent bulb an equivalent in led would be 8-12watt and 800 lumens, then choose your preferred color intensity, warm 2700k, bright white 6000 k.
    100 watt =16-20watt led 1600 lumens.

You can find lots of conversion information on Google.
    That's where I have been researching to change out our rv and house.

• kitykat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to each responder. @laat, what an interesting comment... a mfg aspect.

I can't use 3 way CFL's without buying wider and taller harps, and that will put the shades out of proportion. And my lamps are very good ones I've had a long time, so don't want to waste them. Hence the question of what others use for reading.

raven: Thank you for the chart. However, I do understand the light issues, having physics in HS and college. I know lumen output is the criteria, irregardless of kelvin scale color rendition. How I would love to get a 1600 lumen (25-28wt) LED for my lamps!

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

From a quick internet search I found that you can get a 1600 lumen LED bulb at Home Depot. I'm sure you can find others.

Here is a link that might be useful: 100W Equivalent Soft White (2700K) A21 Dimmable LED Light Bulb

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Feit Electric makes a 50/100/150 watt replacement 3 way LED, but it is pricy.

There are many 10/100/150 watt replacement 3 way CFLs and they are different sizes, so you might want to look at the different brands to see if they all would require you to change out the harps.

Here is a link that might be useful: 50 / 100 / 150 Watt Replacement 2700K Remote Phosphor 3Way LED

This post was edited by dekeoboe on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 22:07

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

The Earthmate will fit every shade harp in my house.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 8:51

• kitykat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is what I did...I bought a 2-pak GE 50/100/150 incandescent bulbs for $3.50 total.

The rationale:

The FEIT bulb is just too weird looking and could be seen every time passing by the lamp.
    The Earthmate is too tall for my lamp.
    The CREE 100 wt equivalent costs $20.

1 - If each $2 GE bulb last only one year, by two years from now, I assume both technology and price will be better for LED's.
    2 - I do not need to use the highest setting (150) all the time, which means less electricity used.
    3 - We are in our 70's. There is probably a cost/benefit consideration as well. As in, I would not pay extra for a 40 year roof on this modest house!

Thanks for all the replies.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations