Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help on Placement and Number of Cree Recessed Lights in Kitchen

Posted by gourmetgirl_2010 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 16, 10 at 17:29

We have been struggling with the placement of recessed lighting in our kitchen. We are installing the wiring now so we need to make a final decision. The kitchen was gutted so the walls and ceiling are completely open. The area is 9' x 11.5', which includes the width of the breakfast bar/peninsula. The peninsula is countertop height. Height of the ceiling is 8 feet. We will have two 10 inch diameter pendants over the breakfast bar and task lighting under the cabinets. The wall opposite the range has an in wall glass cabinet that is 24" wide x 42" tall.

We have pretty much decided to go with Cree LR6 650 deep recessed lights, although we have also been considering the new CR6 because the price is considerably less. We do like the idea of the light be recessed in the ceiling though.

There are no windows in the kitchen. It opens up onto the dining room/living room which has a sliding glass door and windows on the opposite wall. We want to make sure that the room is well lit with consistent illumination and no dead spots or shadows.

I've spaced the lights centered at the edge of the countertop on each side of the range. I was concerned about placing them too close to the range as we will have a 22" deep stainless steel hood mounted in a soffit above the range. I've spaced the recessed lights over the peninsula and walkway into the kitchen at 24" apart. The lights along the wall with the in-wall glass cabinet are 24" from the wall and about 36" apart, and one additional light approximately in the middle of the room.

It is a total of 9 light, which seems like overkill for the size of the kitchen, but because of where the rafters are, I felt that the spacing would be too far apart if I went with fewer lights.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your help on this.

Hosting provided by FotoTime

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help on Placement and Number of Cree Recessed Lights in Kitch

I have the LR6 about 4 feet apart for about a total of 12 in my kitchen. My ceilings are 9'9". They are very bright. It's almost too much light, but a really very nice light ;). I haven't gotten the dimmer installed yet. My kitchen is an odd shape, we'll say 20' by an average of 12 feet. So, 9 might be too much for you. 9 probably would have been better for me.

But, I'm no lighting designer ;)

o
RE: Help on Placement and Number of Cree Recessed Lights in Kitch

Thanks for sharing your lighting layout marcycde. We are planning on installing a dimmer so I'd rather have it brighter and be able to dim than find that the light isn't adequate. We're getting older and our eyesight isn't so go in dim light anymore!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here