Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hating my new ceiling fans! Lights too dim!

Posted by home4sale (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 21, 10 at 17:27

Our new home was just recently completed. The lighting consultant (sales lady) helped me choose all the light fixtures. We have 3 upstairs ceiling fans that I can not stand! They only allow for three (3) 40W candelabra bulbs. She talked me into the frosted globe that masks the bulbs, but I think that diffuses the lights even more. The rooms are fairly large bedrooms, and I have a hard time seeing at night in this dim lighting. (I'm only 34 years old, so it's not my eye sight!) The electrical outlets were not wired for lamps to turn on with the wall switch. This is Texas and ceiling fans in the bedroom is very standard for your only overhead light source.

When the lighting company came for another service call, I asked their rep about a different light kit. He said that pretty much all the ceiling fans only allow for 120 - 140W due to new environmental laws. Is this for real?

Can I fudge and put it larger bulbs? The fixture says 40w max.

I'm seriously considering taking them down and putting put up chandeliers. Then we would have to buy floor fans.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hating my new ceiling fans! Lights too dim!

The usual 40 watt candelabra base incandescent produces around 450 lumens. You can get 13 or 14 watt compact fluorescents with candelabra bases and outputs in the 600-825 lumen range, which would increase your light by 33% to 83%. The only concern would be whether they'd fit into your fixture's globe.

http://1000bulbs.com/product/7653/FC13-4T213C.html

http://www.greenelectricalsupply.com/14-watt-candelabra-base-cfl-warm-white-3000k.aspx

As always, no endorsement is intended; these links are strictly for your information.

Here is a link that might be useful: TCP candelabra base 13 watt CF

o

We switched out all of our incandescent fan bulbs for these. $2.90 per bulb for 800 lumens seems fair to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: 13W Candelabra - 800 Lumens

o

This worked...I normally do not post to forums but I had to do this one. This forum saved my brain. My ceiling fan lights were super dim. I couldn't figure it out until I read this forum. My ceiling fan has a on/off push button on the wall plate. After reading someone's remote on/off buttton acted as a dimmer I decided to try my wall plate on/off button and IT WORKED!! IT WORKED!!... I was elated. Now I can see again....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here