Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting and losing weight

Posted by bluesbarby (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 26, 10 at 16:50

For years I've watched people put more and more lighting into each of their rooms. Especially kitchens. Some of them are so bright I feel like I've just walked into an operating room. This past week I read a really interesting article that did research on the effects of lighting and losing weight. By simply changing your lighting (less of it) you can lose weight. Apparently a bright room (they were discussing kitchens and dining rooms) increases anxiety and ups your appetite. Hence the importance of dimmers over a dining room or kitchen table. But since most people who cook are also grazers a little less light there can also make a difference. When looking back at my last house and my current house I'm a perfect example of this research. My last house had a super bright (but cheery) kitchen compared to my current house. We've been in this house 7 years, I've lost 14 pounds without dieting. Don't get me wrong, my current house isn't a dungeon - there's even a skylite but it has half the lighting of the old and I rarely use more than three of the lights at once (over the island, the sink and the table). No lights during the day. Just keep this in mind when setting up your lighting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting and losing weight

I also read recently that lab mice that slept in subdued light gained (I think) 50% more weight than mice that slept in total darkness. Curious.

It's interesting that people did fine for centuries, using only candles and (later) gaslights. Then came the electrical era and most rooms were lit only by one or two small incandescent lamps. This was a huge improvement over the earlier systems.

When I was a tyke in the 1950s, our kitchen had one light in the center of the ceiling, with a single 75 watt incandescent bulb in it. We had another light over the sink. That was all, and I don't recall any complaints from my mother or father.

Today just look at the kitchen designs suggested on this forum. Often they have a dozen or more fixtures, using (if they're incandescents) enough electricity to comfortably *heat* a 150 square foot room. No wonder our electrical use is rising despite efforts to promote higher efficacy lighting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here